Gas station shutdown 514.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockare

Working a job at a gas station/convenience store . building had a fire , has been gutted,
while doing the demo at the panels
I found that off the main Eaton 200 amp Main panel a 60 amp sub was installed to feed pumps and canopy lights
A 2 pole shunt trip was used but the shunt trip used does not break the Neutral.

does Eaton make a 2 pole 60 shunt trip with neutral break?
or a sub panel with a main breaker shunt , I only need to kill maybe 12 Circuits
does 514.11 also include the Communication and data If feed from another panel that is not shunt?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
does Eaton make a 2 pole 60 shunt trip with neutral break?
or a sub panel with a main breaker shunt , I only need to kill maybe 12 Circuits
does 514.11 also include the Communication and data If feed from another panel that is not shunt?
I don't know Eaton's product line in detail and I'm not inclined to research it. That said, Section 514.11(A) definitely applies to communication and data circuits:

514.11(A) Emergency Electrical Disconnects.

Fuel dispensing systems shall be provided with one or more clearly identified emergency shutoff devices or electrical disconnects. Such devices or disconnects shall be installed in approved locations but not less than 6 m (20 ft) or more than 30 m (100 ft) from the fuel dispensing devices that they serve. Emergency shutoff devices or electrical disconnects shall disconnect power to all dispensing devices; to all remote pumps serving the dispensing devices; to all associated power, control, and signal circuits; and to all other electrical equipment in the hazardous (classified) locations surrounding the fuel dispensing devices. When more than one emergency shutoff device or electrical disconnect is provided, all devices shall be interconnected. Resetting from an emergency shutoff condition shall require manual intervention and the manner of resetting shall be approved by the authority having jurisdiction. [30A:6.7]

Exception: Intrinsically safe electrical equipment need not meet this requirement. [30A:6.7]
The above cites the 2017 NEC Edition. (It's the easiest for me to cut and paste) The 2020 Edition clarified two critical requirements. First, the grounded conductor (neutral) must also be disconnected AND second, all disconnecting must occur simultaneously. How this is accomplished is an exercise left to the designer.

wallyworld

You need to worry about maintenance disconnects also.
State of Maine on 2017 code. 2020 and 2014 specifically say grounded conductor on shutdown. 2017 says power. Maine is allowing shunt trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.