Gate keypad shocks people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

Going back to the very early 60’s our neighbour hung a section of chain from his “new” car. I was sat on the wall watching as he reversed on to the chain and proceeded to rip the exhaust back box off. Being a brave 6 or 7 year old, I ran away before the shouting started.

Back to the fuel tankers:
Does the driver raise lightening conductors along the top of the tank as they do here before discharging to the forecourt tanks?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Going back to the very early 60’s our neighbour hung a section of chain from his “new” car. I was sat on the wall watching as he reversed on to the chain and proceeded to rip the exhaust back box off. Being a brave 6 or 7 year old, I ran away before the shouting started.

Back to the fuel tankers:
Does the driver raise lightening conductors along the top of the tank as they do here before discharging to the forecourt tanks?

in america? surely, you jest. in america, people steal gas by syphoning it out of vehicles with shop vacs.
i'm not making this shit up. honest.

i've never seen anything like that, anywhere.

Tony S

in america? surely, you jest. in america, people steal gas by syphoning it out of vehicles with shop vacs.
i'm not making this shit up. honest.

i've never seen anything like that, anywhere.

Austin cars in the UK fitted electric fuel pumps.
Very handy for that little task, pipe in the “donor” cars filler cap and you just sit in the car watching the gauge go up. The police show up and you just drive off. That’s 40+ years ago as an impoverished student.

I can’t drive now due to blackouts, c'est la vie.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
When I see chains hanging underneath a vehicle here is what you see 90% of the time. Often found on Fire Engines, Ambulances, snow plows. Do they as a secondary function reduce static shocks, I do not know.
I belive they are automatic snow chains. We used to put grounding straps on the forklifts because they built up such a charge, and cars had them straps too. But I think cars stopped needing them when the got away from nylon in the tires.

brweston

Gate keypad

Gate keypad

More input. We installed a automotive transducer on the ground and the power input to the 16 vac, 20 va transformer to the call box. This actually reduced the shock significantly, but it is still there. This solution was offered by one on low voltage buddies. I have not really stopped and analyzed this solution yet since I just heard it worked somewhat. Anybody that has input please offer.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you only ground the post and keypad through a high resistance, the static shock current will be reduced. But if there is any line voltage wiring associated with the keypad the AHJ would probably consider the keypad to be "likely to become energized", and would require a solid ground.
Do you get the same shock (or more now) when touching the pedestal instead of the keypad?

mgookin

A remote control system seems the easiest remedy. No touch required.

Is it mostly females getting the shock? When I was in fire marshal school they showed us videos of females blowing up at fuel dispensers. Females every time. Said they did not know why, but the stats are what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.