GE 1", 2-pole breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I don't see a lot of GE panels in my area, so I'm not used to the breakers that are available.
The panel in the house I'm working in now has a 200-amp GE panel that it says is a 40 circuit panel, but that's only if you use the 1/2" breakers.

I see several 2-pole breakers in it (dryer, range, etc) that are the 1" style breaker. I haven't pulled one of them out to look closer at them.
How is a 1" 2-pole breaker able to "straddle" both phases on the buss bar? There are also several "normal" sized 2-pole breakers in the panel.

The reason I ask is that I need to add a couple of circuits and I want to change some of the normal sized breakers to the 1" 2-pole breakers to help make space for the circuits I need to add.

Also, do they make a 1/2" AFCI breaker? I'm assuming not...

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here are a couple pics showing how it works. The mounting clip on the bus is 90° from a full size breaker which is how they accomplish the CTL. To get 240V you need to bridge both phases.

Rob
540c6911c87f8239f9c4c08aa8d326fd.jpg
60a01c28e7571ec9866898cf6fef2482.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
Some GE panels do not have any horizontal stabs and others have it on some spaces to limit the total number of breakers. You need to check the buss and/or the diagram to see if your panel will accept the THQP breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.