GE Breaker Question for you experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Boss man came to me. He needs to add a double 60 to an older GE panel for a on-demand water heater. The panel is P/N TX12F/TX12S. The label recommends Class NI, GE Type TR, TQL, TQAL breakers.

Not knowing the difference....and honestly not wanting to spend much time researching....what breaker type do I need to look for? I'm not familiar with any of these types.

Thanks in advance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Boss man came to me. He needs to add a double 60 to an older GE panel for a on-demand water heater. The panel is P/N TX12F/TX12S. The label recommends Class NI, GE Type TR, TQL, TQAL breakers.

Not knowing the difference....and honestly not wanting to spend much time researching....what breaker type do I need to look for? I'm not familiar with any of these types.

Thanks in advance.
Call local GE supply house and ask them what is actually available. It seems like the label tells you what you are allowed to use.

James L

Occupation
Electrician

Thanks in advance.
Just google the type, like TQL then add the configuration. In the case of GE I believe a 2-pole 60 would be "2160"

So try a search for "GE TQL2160" or "GE TQAL2160"

4x4dually

Occupation
Home Depot has GE type THQL breakers. I'm not sure whether they are acceptable.
That's what I was finding. I don't know what the "H" designates. Didn't know if they were compatible or not.

Just google the type, like TQL then add the configuration. In the case of GE I believe a 2-pole 60 would be "2160"

So try a search for "GE TQL2160" or "GE TQAL2160"
Yup. A bunch of old used stuff. I was wondering if any new stock fits them. I'll dig into it more. I've never dealt with GE much.

4x4dually

Occupation
TQL is 5KAIC
THQL is 10KAIC
THHQ is 22KAIC

TQL is no longer manufactured, and THQL would be your replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Much Oblige! That's what I was looking for. I knew one of you folks would know that.

I appreciate it! :cool:

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
Found this googling:
THQL can replace TQL sometimes.. GE changed the stab at some point. Old stabs are hard-drawn copper with corrugation. New stabs are solid. (My panel from 1960 has the old type stab.) Old production runs of THQL (UO633 for example) are compatible with old and new stabs. New runs (e.g. RT-698) only fit the new stab design

Status
Not open for further replies.