GE Par Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

active1

I had 2 different customers that had the same problem. The lens would break off the bulb shell about 1 1/2-2 years after install. The customers would call it exploding but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Both cases:
Used Juno IC1 cans and baffle trims.
Had GE PAR 20 / 50 watt bulbs.
Were installed in a new construction setting.
Attic 2-5' space above in attic depending on location.
Would guess they were insulated well.
Both had about 20 of these can lights.

The first was in a kitchen. Breaking glass would fall onto the granit counter and tile floor. It happened to several of the bulbs. It was a few years ago. Replaced all the bulbs and the problem was solved. Some at the supply house said they had a problem with that while others acted like they never herd of it.

The second was in a bedroom. Hot glass was said to have bruned the carpet. The customer said the carpet was repaired and not looking for damages. They were more concerned with the safety of hot glass falling in the bedroom and chance of fire. I told them I would replace all the bulbs (when they return from a trip). I have not seen this one yet but it sounds like more than one. The customer said the bulb was still working after the lens broke off.

The problem is both of these jobs were done with the same GC.
I tried looking for some sort of documentation that GE had defective bulbs but came back with nothing.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The key when you call is, don't elaborate past what Scott said. Just keep it short and sweet.

"Thanks for calling GE customer service, how can I help you tod-"
"Why do your bulbs suck so bad?"
"-ay. I'm sorry, what?"
"Why do your bulbs suck so bad?"
"What seems to be the prob-"
"I don't need a lot of flowery talk, I have a simple question that needs a simple answer."
"Well, uh, I..."
"Ah, forget it, I'm going back to Westinghouse - at least the founder of that company had a personality!"
*Click*

peter d

Where they made in Mexico, China, or Korea by any chance?

I've had this problem with Philips par 38 lamps, but they were installed outside.

mdshunk

Were these lamps rated for base up operation? In this day and time, I'd hope they pretty much all are, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that that particular model and size of lamp isn't rated to burn in that position.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The customer said the bulb was still working after the lens broke off.
Not if it was an incandescent bulb. I'd suspect someone was pulling your leg on that basis alone.

More likely cause: people were cleaning and sprayed cleaner or something on the bulb, or maybe air freshener sprayed straight up. I have seen people clean freakin' light bulbs, I'm not kidding! They get obsessive compulsive about everything being clean and go nuts with the cleaning solution. I watched a woman spray Windex on a hot table lamp bulb (she had just turned the lamp off) and it blew up in her face. I can imagine a clean freak might do the same for a dusty lamp in a can light too. Or like I said, air freshener. Those cans shoot straight up and if you sprayed one into a lit can light, boom!

kbsparky

Jraef said:
Not if it was an incandescent bulb. I'd suspect someone was pulling your leg on that basis alone.....
Halogen bulbs are quite common in the PAR configuration these days. And those ... unlike incandescents .... will continue to operate in the event that the outer glass breaks.

Tell `em to use Sylvania if you have problems with the GE.:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I may have a different angle on this problem. The neck of some reflector floods come in different lengths. Thus you have the standard neck bulb and the short neck bulb.

It is possible that the short neck bulb is being used and when turned into the socket it may not reach the contacts without the wider part of the bulb being gently scored by the porcelain socket. Over time the weakened bulb will fall out with the heat produced by the bulb.

I have had this happen before, however not with this particular type of bulb. Just a thought.

Edited sentence so Chris stops making fun of me.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
chris kennedy said:
Sentance of the week!:grin: Just bustin your chops Dennis.

Wow I need to check my mind before I type.
And you need to learn how to spell sentence.:grin: :grin:

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Here, hold this, I'll be right back.

128px-Padlock-zebra.svg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.