GE quad breaker

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've got an old panel that takes thhqp,thql, thhql, or txql breakers. I can see on the line diagram that it will take 2 circuits on 1 space so I BOUGHT THE GE minis the other day and they didn't seem to want to go in. I'll post the label in another post but I was wondering if they make a quad that would fit or is there some kinds of discontinued breaker that goe3s in this panel?

macmikeman

I am fairly certain that GE avoided making Quad breakers , I have never come across any in my time. I recall seeing threads about this also in this forum from a long time ago.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to the label the two bottom slots on each side will accept twin breakers. The top two slots on each side won't.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I may stop back by and try the mini again. Maybe I was doing it wrong. But it sure didn’t seem like it wanted to go in.

norcal

I am fairly certain that GE avoided making Quad breakers , I have never come across any in my time. I recall seeing threads about this also in this forum from a long time ago.
No need for a GE quad, with the way GE panels are designed a twin does what is needed, & does not seem to be as problematic as the now obsolete Crouse-Hinds & Challenger twins, that functioned in a similar way.

kwired

Electron manager
I've got an old panel that takes thhqp,thql, thhql, or txql breakers. I can see on the line diagram that it will take 2 circuits on 1 space so I BOUGHT THE GE minis the other day and they didn't seem to want to go in. I'll post the label in another post but I was wondering if they make a quad that would fit or is there some kinds of discontinued breaker that goe3s in this panel?
Are you installing it in the correct position? When you mention "Quads" I kind of presume you want two two pole circuits on one device or even two single poles and a double pole on one device.

GE's mini design basically eliminated the need to make a true "quad" unit, but to plug on a two pole mini you must plug it on between two full size spaces. So plug it on say position 1 B and 3 A, unlike other brand tandems that would be a single full width and two handles but only make contact with one supply bus.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
According to the label the two bottom slots on each side will accept twin breakers. The top two slots on each side won't.
Took me a minute reading sideways, but I think all the spaces accept twins. Signified by the black bars on the ends of the spaces in the diagram.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yeah but the panel label doesn't mention those.
Seems to say THHQP instead of THQP. I have a vague recollection of seeing that before.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Took me a minute reading sideways, but I think all the spaces accept twins. Signified by the black bars on the ends of the spaces in the diagram.
Now that I'm looking at in on a monitor and not a phone it appears that you're correct. A better photo would reveal the actual breaker type for twins.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Now that I'm looking at in on a monitor and not a phone it appears that you're correct. A better photo would reveal the actual breaker type for twins.
I tried searching the listed breaker types I could see on the label looking for quads or minis and came up with nothing. The line diagram clearly shows 2 circuits per space so I’m thinking it’s a mini but I wonder if there was a previous iteration of the mini that I’ve never seen.
Unfortunately on the label there is one type of breaker that is scratched out.

PCBelarge

Occupation
Electrical Training and Consulting
Looks like an old panel. There is a good chance, that GE no longer manufactures the listed breakers for the type of installation you are trying to install.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah but the panel label doesn't mention those.
Seems to say THHQP instead of THQP. I have a vague recollection of seeing that before.
My comment above was in supposed to be in reply to Macmikeman

Yes, the old breakers are not for use with loadcenters designed to take THPQ breakers.

The first breaker on the list that is scratched off is THQP. The THHQP is the 22K version.

According to the label, all spaces in this loadcenter should accept 1-THQL or 2-THQP breakers. It is a 125 amp 8/16 loadcenter.

OP. Are you trying to install 1- pole breakers or 2-pole breakers? 2-pole can not be installed in a single slot. They must straddle 2 spots so they connect to both legs.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
My comment above was in supposed to be in reply to Macmikeman

Yes, the old breakers are not for use with loadcenters designed to take THPQ breakers.

The first breaker on the list that is scratched off is THQP. The THHQP is the 22K version.

According to the label, all spaces in this loadcenter should accept 1-THQL or 2-THQP breakers. It is a 125 amp 8/16 loadcenter.

OP. Are you trying to install 1- pole breakers or 2-pole breakers? 2-pole can not be installed in a single slot. They must straddle 2 spots so they connect to both legs.
Trying to install 2 pole. All spots are full and there is a nasty code violation at this current time. 2 pole 30 amp with 14 gauge wire (very old) on one leg of whatever the 2 pole 30 amp circuit is feeding. So I was just going to put minis in the panel and clean it up. But when I was there the other day I couldn’t get the breaker to fit. I may have been doing it wrong. I’m goin for stop by next time I’m up that way and try again. It’s been like it is for years and hasn’t burned it down yet so I guess another week won’t matter

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
put minis in the panel and clean it up. But when I was there the other day I couldn’t get the breaker to fit. I may have been doing it wrong.
Got a picture of the bus? The minis connect differently than full size. They do have a panel that actually is listed for both or either just full size or minis depending on the bus configuration.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Trying to install 2 pole. All spots are full and there is a nasty code violation at this current time. 2 pole 30 amp with 14 gauge wire (very old) on one leg of whatever the 2 pole 30 amp circuit is feeding. So I was just going to put minis in the panel and clean it up. But when I was there the other day I couldn’t get the breaker to fit. I may have been doing it wrong. I’m goin for stop by next time I’m up that way and try again. It’s been like it is for years and hasn’t burned it down yet so I guess another week won’t matter
Are you sure you are trying to install the 2-pole breakers so it connects to both legs? There should be a 1/2" space on each side.
The breaker must connect to 3-5, 7-9, 11-15, 4-6, 8-10 or 12-14

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Are you sure you are trying to install the 2-pole breakers so it connects to both legs? There should be a 1/2" space on each side.
The breaker must connect to 3-5, 7-9, 11-15, 4-6, 8-10 or 12-14
Yeah I’ve got to go back and try again. I was tired and it was late the other day. May have just been having a brain fart.