GEC for pole building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
Joe.
If a building has a concrete slab but no footing it will either need rods or plates, correct? I need at least 100 characters so i'm still typing.
I'm in eastern Eashington. So I deal with Labor & Industries electrical inspectors also. I ushally deal with pump houses ascauxiliary structures. A plain or even thickened edge concrete slab only requires two ground rods or plates. My inspectors are fine with me just laying the ground rods in the trench, just have to have six feet between the end of one before the next one. However if the pump house has footings, I'm required to bond to the rebar (ufer). Had one that they didn't provide me with a piece of rebar stickingnoutbof the footings to bond to. The inspector gave me two options, chip out cement to find a piece of rebar to bond to, or dig a trench all the way around the building and install a ground ring. He would not accept the two ground rods I had already driven.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Joe.

I'm in eastern Eashington. So I deal with Labor & Industries electrical inspectors also. I ushally deal with pump houses ascauxiliary structures. A plain or even thickened edge concrete slab only requires two ground rods or plates. My inspectors are fine with me just laying the ground rods in the trench, just have to have six feet between the end of one before the next one. However if the pump house has footings, I'm required to bond to the rebar (ufer). Had one that they didn't provide me with a piece of rebar stickingnoutbof the footings to bond to. The inspector gave me two options, chip out cement to find a piece of rebar to bond to, or dig a trench all the way around the building and install a ground ring. He would not accept the two ground rods I had already driven.
Inspector is correct. WAC 296 46B. requires conc encased electrode or ground ring.

kwired

Electron manager
Inspector is correct. WAC 296 46B. requires conc encased electrode or ground ring.
NEC as worded doesn't give you options. Someone has to make a judgement call as to whether or not you compromise the footing if you chip it out is another thing to take into consideration.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
O.K. We are all "Boy Scouts" ... Right ?
I didn't make it to Eagle Scout ... But I did hike to Mt. Baden Paul.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I dig a ditch and bend remaining length of rod below ground

Rarely 30" but passes local inspection

I'm not saying it makes better connection with earth, but can honestly say that I don't cut rods

kwired

Electron manager
Rods don't need to be UL listed they have a construction standard. Therefore not all will have marks and the cheap ones from my main supplier doesn't have any marking they are just sold as galvanized steel ground rods.
5/8" diameter rods don't need to be listed. If smaller diameter they do. 250.52(A)(5)(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.