GEC to service trough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epalmateer

Occupation
Electrician
200 amp service located remote from dwelling and from outbuilding, built on strut rack or a fire rated lumber platform. Plan on going from meter to trough, from trough to 2 100 amp disconnects, then feeding underground to each structure. Since you only need 6awg for rod type electrodes, can I get away with driving only 2 electrodes and connecting to grounded service conductor inside trough? Or will each service disconnect be required to have 2?

Buck Parrish

200 amp service located remote from dwelling and from outbuilding, built on strut rack or a fire rated lumber platform. Plan on going from meter to trough, from trough to 2 100 amp disconnects, then feeding underground to each structure. Since you only need 6awg for rod type electrodes, can I get away with driving only 2 electrodes and connecting to grounded service conductor inside trough? Or will each service disconnect be required to have 2?
Yes only two at the meter and trough. NEC 250.58
Its all considered one service until you leave to go to the next structure. Each next structure additional ground rods would be required.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
can I get away with driving only 2 electrodes and connecting to grounded service conductor inside trough? Or will each service disconnect be required to have 2?
That's the way I would do it. #6 GEC from wireway to the first rod then on to the second rod. The GEC can connect to the neutral at any point upstream of the service disconnects.

Just a note for next time, take a look at 230.40 exception #3. You can skip the service disconnects (and probably the grounding) at the pedestal, and only have to run three wire to each building.

Epalmateer

Occupation
Electrician
Gotcha. That would make sense for the accessory building, but I'm going tonhave an ats for the dwelling and the gen is pretty remote from the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.