Generac Standby Generator Ground Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Don?t know the laws concerning installations in your state but here for a contractor to just comply with un-adopted wants of the counties then the contractor is still liable and in violation of the laws that govern their license.

87-46. Responsibility of licensee; nonliability of Board.
Nothing in this Article shall relieve the holder or holders of licenses issued under the provisions hereof from complying with the building or electrical codes or statutes or ordinances of the State of North Carolina, or of any county or municipality thereof now in force or hereafter enacted. Nothing in this Article shall be construed as relieving the holder of any license issued hereunder from responsibility or liability for negligent acts on the part of such holder in connection with electrical contracting work; nor shall the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors be accountable in damages, or otherwise for the negligent act or acts of any holder of such license.

Unless the inspector can produce to me something in writing that has been adopted into law I could care less what they want as I must install a compliant installation or I can be charged by my licensing board for;
(7) Engaging in malpractice, unethical conduct, fraud, deceit, gross negligence, gross incompetence, or gross misconduct in the practice of electrical contracting.

Stapling a NM cable and then moving up 4.5 feet but moving over to the adjacent joist will cause the staple to be about 2 inches to far apart and most inspectors would not say a word but that does not nullify the fact that there is an existing violation of 334.30.

As a code enforcement official I can only enforce the codes as adopted by the state as amended by my jurisdiction. My jurisdiction cannot adopt anything less stringent than that of the state although there are some adoptions that are more stringent. I also understand that there are many states that does not adopt codes and leave it up to each jurisdiction.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree. Multiple rods are common and even required in some cases. Grounded and grounding conductor should be bonded in one location only. Too many ground rods has never been a problem that I've seen before.

In the case of the Generac residential-grade generators, they're shipped with a flexible rubber gas connector so no additional connection there. Now, in the case of a furnace for example ... yes, one could have a parallel ground through the gas piping (or duct work) assuming it's bonded. The same would apply to a stove too. Even an electric water heater will provide an additional parallel connection. Provided that grounded and grounding conductors are bonded in a single location only, I don't see a big problem and I also don't see how it can be avoided either. Thoughts?

The furnace, stove, water heater are not electric power sources though, their bond to the gas line or water line is via a non current carrying equipment grounding conductor, where the generator being a source could end up paralleling current over non intended paths depending on what is bonded and where. I am not concerned over parallel paths of equipment grounding conductors as that is normal, it is parallel paths for current in the grounded neutral to flow over that is a concern.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This was a letter issued from Generac back in January 2013. I don't remember when I obtained this but someone else posted this here in another thread :

S45W-29290 Wisconsin 59
Waukesha, WI 53189

January 17, 2013

To whom it may concern,

UL 2200 14.1.6 requires that a terminal for a grounding electrode conductor must be provided on the outside of all generators even though it may not necessarily be connected because of the type of installation the generator is being installed for. For example, if you are bonding the ground to the neutral at the service, the grounding electrode would be optional as it is a non-separately derived system. In situations where the bond is made at the generator, the grounding electrode terminal would be used and this would be considered a separately derived system. All Generac generators, except the industrial product are non-separately derived systems and would not require a ground rod.

Because UL doesn?t know how the generator will be installed in the field, the standard appears as such and it requires the terminal to be installed at the time of manufacturing in the event it is used as a separately derived system.

Best Regards,

Bob Cramer
Master Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Generac Power Systems, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.