Generac T1 & T0 new extra wire.

liteman101

Occupation
Retired Electrician/Engineer
Generac states there is a 2023 NEC code change for a dedicated wire to the neutral back to the ATS. There is a neutral bar already in the generator itself. Cannot find this new code.

liteman101

Occupation
Retired Electrician/Engineer
Electrician. Received a degree in electrical power engineering. Then on to control the electrical grid. Retired 5 years ago.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
They added a terminal to the control board for a dedicated Neutral from the transfer switch.

I'm not sure what Code change prompted this action other than possibly grouping the neutral with it's phase conductors.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Haven’t heard of that one. T1 is the battery charge circuit, from the ATS to the generator.

They now have a neutral running with it?

I guess that explains the blue/white wire showing up in the CableMaster gen cable that none of us could figure out. 👍

So it gets landed on the neutral bar in the ATS, and in the generator? They may need to add a smaller lug on the bar in the ATS. Just ones large enough for 250’s currently.

kwired

Electron manager
They added a terminal to the control board for a dedicated Neutral from the transfer switch.

I'm not sure what Code change prompted this action other than possibly grouping the neutral with it's phase conductors.
If all the conductors are in same raceway never was a problem.

I haven't done a ton of these but I guess I figured their battery charger must been run from 240 volt control supply.

Not sure that there was any NEC change as much as maybe a listing requirement change?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If all the conductors are in same raceway never was a problem.

I haven't done a ton of these but I guess I figured their battery charger must been run from 240 volt control supply.

Not sure that there was any NEC change as much as maybe a listing requirement change?
I know the chargers was 240, don’t know if they still are? Maybe a 120 volt battery heater?

kwired

Electron manager
Ok, so they changed it. It’s been many years since I’ve put in a Genercrap.
Long enough you didn't need to activate it before it would work? They now have wifi and you must connect to internet to activate them, at least last couple I was involved with did. Kind of a pain if in location with no internet, last one I think I used my phone as an access point to do this, but someday will probably be in a place with no cell service. Might be a way to manually enter some code but haven't gone down that road yet.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Long enough you didn't need to activate it before it would work? They now have wifi and you must connect to internet to activate them, at least last couple I was involved with did. Kind of a pain if in location with no internet, last one I think I used my phone as an access point to do this, but someday will probably be in a place with no cell service. Might be a way to manually enter some code but haven't gone down that road yet.
Yeah, way before you had to activate them.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC

Stupid deal with that activation.

But, if you’re ever out of cell range, you can just copy all the info (if you know what is required) and go somewhere else and activate it.

Then you just enter the code they send you and enter into the generator.
The generator doesn’t actually have to have a signal.

It was a little confusing at first, but it’s not the same as the WiFi setup you can do, so the customer can do……I don’t really know what with their phone vis-a-vis the genny.

Birken Vogt

The Generac charger will run on either 120 or 240 volts. It is used overseas where 240 is all that's available.

I know of a couple people who have gotten bit by the combined neutral on these. When unhooking the heavy generator neutral to do some work or other, it does not occur to them that the battery charger is also using it for a return path. Then they become the return path, ouch.

shortcircuit2

Generac states there is a 2023 NEC code change for a dedicated wire to the neutral back to the ATS. There is a neutral bar already in the generator itself. Cannot find this new code.
I do not think it is a Code change.

Generac had always used the feeder neutral as shared for the 120-volt parts of the gen-set like the charger. This creates a 300.3(B) violation when running the wiring separately from gen to transfer. The shared neutral approach also violates 200.4(A). I think they are just making a correction to something that worked but is not Code compliant.

The hybrid cable is also coming with an extra pair of wires (purple) now I heard in preparation for grouping of the 445.19(C) generator Emergency Shutdown with the 230.85 Emergency Disconnect for the 2026 NEC. This grouping would help the first responders kill power to the dwelling from 1-location.