General purpose circuit in kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

Is it permissible to take circuit from living room receptacles for wine cooler (couple of amps) or stove igniter in kitchen?
Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree that the wine cooler cannot be powered from a living room circuit, that is unless you put its receptacle more than 66 inches above the floor. :roll: I think it might be possible to get the stove ignitor on the living room circuit. Here's my logic:

• 210.52(B)(2) Exception 1 tells us that a receptacle serving the stove lighter is allowed to be on a SABC.
  • That means that it is not otherwise obviously required to be on a SABC.
  • If it is not required to be on an SABC, then it must be allowed to be on a non-SABC.
  • Therefore, it is allowed to be on the living room circuit.

QED

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree that the wine cooler cannot be powered from a living room circuit, that is unless you put its receptacle more than 66 inches above the floor. :roll: I think it might be possible to get the stove ignitor on the living room circuit. Here's my logic:

• 210.52(B)(2) Exception 1 tells us that a receptacle serving the stove lighter is allowed to be on a SABC.
  • That means that it is not otherwise obviously required to be on a SABC.
  • If it is not required to be on an SABC, then it must be allowed to be on a non-SABC.
  • Therefore, it is allowed to be on the living room circuit.

QED
Hmmm.... I think you mean Exception No. 2.

Exception No. 1 is for electric clock.

Other than that, I agree.

darekelec

Why are you even bothering to "circumvent" the SABC requirement?

I am axing because in my area local amendments excluded NEC 422.16(B)(4)(5) so guys instal an outlet for hood from general purpose circuit. Hood happens to be above stove and sometimes guy would drop wire from hood to receptacle for stove igniter.
One time inspector ordered to put that receptacle on SABC.
As I read it now ahj may be right because of
210.52(B)(1)
If the stove was less than 24" wide it would be fine
:). Or if it was fastened in place as it should because of tipping hazard.
Same for wine cooler that usually is on a border of living room and kitchen. I guess wine cooler is refrigeration equipment so it could be plugged in to SABC.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Same for wine cooler that usually is on a border of living room and kitchen. I guess wine cooler is refrigeration equipment so it could be plugged in to SABC.

You can plug anything you want into a SABC, you just can't extend the SABC to locations other than the ones listed such as dinning, pantry kitchen etc.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is it permissible to take circuit from living room receptacles for wine cooler (couple of amps) or stove igniter in kitchen?
Thanks.

(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry,
breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling
unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch
circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and
floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop
outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for
refrigeration equipment.

(2) No Other Outlets. The two or more small-appliance
branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no
other outlets.

Now could you come off the living room to supply an outlet 'in' a cabinet for a TV? I say yes.

darekelec

Sometimes I don't want to add another circuit. And I would like to break the code before we adopt 2014 nec that requires most circuits to be Afci.
Can I install a receptacle under sink for 5 amp garbage disposal on living room circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.