General purpose receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dec

Is there a restriction in the NEC concerning the installation of a duplex receptacle above a fireplace?

Plakerio

You would have to account for the maximum temperature the wire would face when the fireplace is in use, Then choose the proper wiring method. you would not want a short cause the insulation failed on you. Start at 310.10.

dec

You would have to account for the maximum temperature the wire would face when the fireplace is in use, Then choose the proper wiring method. you would not want a short cause the insulation failed on you. Start at 310.10.

Fireplace is one of those package units that slide into a hole and uses triple lined flue pipe. Cavity is framed in with 2X4's and drywall. Owner wants to install a flat screen tv above the fireplace , so that's where the receptacle comes in.

renosteinke

NEC? No. Yet, I seem to remember the last direplace had something in the directions that led me to use MC, as opposed to Romex, for that particular receptacle.

480sparky

I've never known the wiring to be in a fireplace area where the temperature would be a concern.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC? No. Yet, I seem to remember the last direplace had something in the directions that led me to use MC, as opposed to Romex, for that particular receptacle.

If part of the intention of the fire place is to provide heat for the room it is in then this would not be a very efficient installation.

I can't recall ever having a fireplace mantle where the customer did not want a receptacle. They always find something to plug in there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fireplace is one of those package units that slide into a hole and uses triple lined flue pipe. Cavity is framed in with 2X4's and drywall. Owner wants to install a flat screen tv above the fireplace , so that's where the receptacle comes in.
No issues. Wire it with plastic nail-on and NM or whatever you're using elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.