General question,remodel pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I recently needed to bid a 5,000Sq/ft restraunt remodel. I will give some general specs, could i get a "ballpark" sq/ft price? I realize this is extremely vague, but the G.C. thinks that I am juicing him big time on the price.Existing 400A 120/240 service. Bid included fishing 20 openings in cinder block wall, hanging 50 florescent fixtures (28 troughers, 22 surface)installing (1) 30 space 200 A panel,(2) 24 space 100A sub panels, (1) 1 20 space 100A subpanel, proper shut down for (2) kitchen hoods, total of 55 openings for receps and switches, 2200' of 12-2 romex work, 350' 1/2 and 3/4 EMT,2,000ft #10 and +12 thhn etc etc. Basically taking a 50 year old commercial building and bringing it up to code. I'm sure i only touched on a few of items, BTW, all material was furnished by me, and was Sq D equipment and spec grade devices thruout.This is located in Southern MI. Thanks to anybody willing to throw me a number.

satcom

nizak said:
could i get a "ballpark" sq/ft price? I realize this is extremely vague, but the G.C. thinks that I am juicing him big time on the price.

No on sq ft, and just about every GC thinks they are being juiced, by all the subs, they usually can't estimate their own jobs, so every sub will look high. With a little time I am sure you can come up with a budget price based on unit pricing, not sq ft. I have no idea of the area labor rates, but a real rough guess would be $42K and up.

romexking

I don't know what you labor rate and burden is, but you have about 400 hours in that job as described, and 6 or 7k in material. I've built dozens of restaurants, albeit not in Rx, but it's similar.

With those numbers, you are probably a bit low, but one would have to wonder, if your numbers are a problem, why doesn't he have another contractor do the work? There must be some value in your services that is making him decide to use you. What probably happened is that he bid the job without getting sub bids, and is probably low in his electrical $$. You could ask him on what basis that he thinks your numbers are out of whack, lets see if he can come up with a take off and pricing for such. I don't think so. Stick to your guns...it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.