Generator Annunciator Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Moloy

I have a generator for emergency lighting for a covered mall in Northern New Jersey. The generator sits just outside the footprint of the building. The raceways route underground into the emergency electric room. The question is, we are installing a remote annunciator in a main control room several hundred feet away in the building. Is there an electrical, building, or life safety code as to the belden cable installation to this annunciator? The annunciator panel is for monitoring only. Can the cable be run exposed? Is it required to be in a raceway? I intend to run the cable exposed above ceilings on cable hooks. Any information on this installation would be helpful. Thanks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I see no NEC requirement to install this in conduit.

Bare in mind, since you are supplying emergency circuits, the ATS(assuming 480V 1000A or more) should be monitored as well as the generator.

700.7 Signals
(D)Ground Fault. To indicate a ground fault in solidly grounded wye emergency systems of more than 150 volts to ground and circuit-protective devices rated 1000 amperes or more. The sensor for the ground-fault signal devices shall be located at, or ahead of, the main system disconnecting means for the emergency source, and the maximum setting of the signal devices shall be for a ground-fault current of 1200 amperes. Instructions on the course of action to be taken in event of indicated ground fault shall be located at or near the sensor location.
FPN: For signals for generator sets, see NFPA 110-2005, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems.
Edit: Welcome to the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.