Generator Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul32

Re: Generator Connections

Interesting. If everything complies why have the rule? :)

I guess if an inspector ever called out something like that he'd have to have a way to comply, because if he couldn't, it wouldn't be practicable. Thanks.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

George, how would the transfer switch otherwise be legal? Never heard of a 2-pole threeway switch. Just curious
I don't quite understand what you are asking. I think that for a permanent-temporary situation, a four gang box controlling four branch circuits using threeway switches would work.

If traveller "A" was the utility/normal home run, and traveller "B" were the feed from the generator, then the common would be the load, and the two sources would never touch. The problems are that the conductor attached to the common could be a 15 amp circuit fed from a 20 or 30 amp OCPD on the generator. Adding in a panel or whatnot would begin to negate the savings in my method.

In addition to those very real problems, we have the code stating that "audible and visual signal devices shall be provided, where practicable."

In the beginning, I was attempting to find a cheaper method than this $220 setup:

163249_4.jpg

Essentially, it's six threeways (ok, with an "off" in the middle) that are breakered properly, with a visual gauge to indicate the load on the generator.

paul32

George, I don't know why I didn't think of using threeways that way. My 2-pole comment was thinking needing to keep both legs on generator or service together, not one on each.

There have been other threads about GenTran transfer switches like the one above and a while back I went to the GenTran site to get information and it looks like they don't make that style any more. I was meaning to ask if anyone knew why that was?

But if the above costs $220 it seems like you can get a small 'locked dual main' panel and transfer breakers from the existing panel for under that.

In addition to those very real problems, we have the code stating that "audible and visual signal devices shall be provided, where practicable."
Did you see what Don said above?

coulter

I finally got a break from work.

This is late, but I still need to do it.

I have been informed my earlier remarks were construed as not being concerned about safety of linemen.

I absolutely apologize for this.

I would in no way advocate any installation or practice that would be in violation of any code or regulation.

I would in no way advocate any installation that would put a lineman or linewoman, or any other electrical worker, or anybody else for that matter, in danger.

Bob - I apologize for for my remark about, "read it again". That was uncalled for.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.