generator disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Hi, I'm a new member, but have been reading the code forums occasionally for a while now. I have a question that I cannot find an answer to in the code, and hope someone more knowledgeable than me can answer. I'm just a fourth year apprentice, and my boss's father is also an electrician, and asked me to anser this for him. He is doing a job at a small, volunteer fire department, and there is a diesel generator for emergency power. the generator is inside the building, and is exhausted outdoors. There is no fire control system in the building, and no fire pumps or anything. The generator is hooked to an automatic transfer switch, which is located inside. So my question is, one, does there need to be an outside disconnect in case of fire to be able to shut down the generator from outside the building? And two, does it need to be line voltage, or can it be a low voltage relay or control? I really would appreciate any help I can get on this

radiopet

Nope...not that I am aware of in regards to the NEC. The generator has to comply with 445.18 and in your case the provisions of 700 and also be aware of the notification plaque issues that may be required.

I am on the road right now but those come to mind. i am sure others will chime in.

ceb58

We just had a new gen. set installed where I work. The gen. sets out side however inside next to the ATS and disconnect is an E-stop for the gen. motor. I think it is more of a design issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.