Generator for 400 Amp service install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys-

What is the most cost effective install for Generac generator to a 400 Amp residential serivice? The customer has (2) 200 amp square D QO panels. They want the ability to power every circuit in the house. Most equipment in the home is natural gas... such as oven, range, water heater, heat...The two AC units are the largest loads...I was considering replacing the two panels with (2) 200 amp Generac Gen Ready Advanced load centers and wire the generator feed to both. Just trying to avoid paying for a 400 amp ATS. Anyone installing this load centers? I've done a few generators installs, but only for 200 amp services.

Thanks,

I've used the interlock kits before, but the customer wants automatic transfer.

Have you used those kits on two panels connected to one generator outlet?

ron

Guys-

I was considering replacing the two panels with (2) 200 amp Generac Gen Ready Advanced load centers and wire the generator feed to both. Just trying to avoid paying for a 400 amp ATS. Anyone installing this load centers? I've done a few generators installs, but only for 200 amp services.

Thanks,

You mentioned the Generac Gen Ready Advanced load centers which are manual, like the interlock kit I referenced.

For two panels and a single generator output breaker, you would need to go to/near the first panel termination, splice/tap and then onto the second with the full sized feeder

StreamlineGT

The Gen Ready panels are automatic, it just may not seem that way by looking at them. I think it is a good option, though you are limited to 18 circuits per panel to be on gen. I guess you could add subpanels as needed. You should be able to tap the gen feed to each panel.

StreamlineGT

Better yet, get them to buy a Kohler, and get 2 Kohler RSB transfer panels. We just finished one today, and it was pretty slick. They are QO load centers, so you won't have to buy breakers. It won't save you any money, as the Kohler will likely be lots more than the Generac, but a better unit.

I would use the 2- 200 amp Nexus ATS, but the wall space is an issue. I am leaning towards the Gen Ready Advanced load centers, but I can only feed 18 circuits from generator. I had an inspector tell me I could use one 200 amp Nexus ATS and wire both 200 amp panels into the switch. This would allow the generator to feed everything in the home, but it will de-rate the 400 amp service....this could work since the service is oversized based...but I need a professional engineer to perform a load calculation to go that route. What is the normal price for plumber to connect gas line? A plumber quoted me $1500 for 30' underground piping from natural gas meter to generator.

pete m.

I need a professional engineer to perform a load calculation to go that route.

The jurisdiction you are working for requires sealed drawings for a residential installation? I guess it just seems over the top to me. Where I work we don't require sealed drawings for residential applications.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.