Generator for temp power

Status
Not open for further replies.

viclibo

I had to use my generator to supply power to a residential 100 amp service panel for a home inspection. The power was shut off on the utility company side. My generator has a 4 wire plug with a 20 amp 240 volt rating. Using a 4 wire # 10 SO cord ( a #12 would work also ) wired to the correct 4 wire plug and plugged into the generator, I have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground on the other end. The panel I am powering has the main disconnected so there is no chance of feeding the utility company end. If I hook up the ground and neutral to the ground and neutral bus bars and clamp the hots 2 each of the 120 volt sides of the panel, shouldn't I get 240 volt with a 2 pole breaker and 120 volt with a 1 pole breaker ?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I had to use my generator to supply power to a residential 100 amp service panel for a home inspection. The power was shut off on the utility company side. My generator has a 4 wire plug with a 20 amp 240 volt rating. Using a 4 wire # 10 SO cord ( a #12 would work also ) wired to the correct 4 wire plug and plugged into the generator, I have 2 hots, a neutral and a ground on the other end. The panel I am powering has the main disconnected so there is no chance of feeding the utility company end. If I hook up the ground and neutral to the ground and neutral bus bars and clamp the hots 2 each of the 120 volt sides of the panel, shouldn't I get 240 volt with a 2 pole breaker and 120 volt with a 1 pole breaker ?

Yes,
If you have it wired correctly.
Is the neutral isolated away from the ground in the panel?
my bet is you have the neutral on a hot screw. And a hot on the neutral.
IF the neutral is isolated from ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.