Generator ground and bonding in a nutshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

I'm looking for some quick clues/answers, then some resources so I can learn more later.

Full building stand-by generator (in this case 240V-1ph but questions could apply to 208V 3ph).
Building main disconnect (circuit breaker) with feeder through the transfer switch then on to the building panelboards.
Correct me if I am mistaken:
Neutral is bonded to the ground in the main disconnect.
Grounding is bonded to the transfer switch (case).

(Generator is remote with underground nonmetallic conduit.)
1. The generator will have a ground bonded to the neutral at the generator?
2. Is there any ground/bond (other than the neutral) from the generator to the transfer switch?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
1) The generator cannot have the neutral bonded at the generator unless you are using a transfer switch that switches the neutral.
2) If the neutral is not bonded at the generator, then an EGC is run between the transfer switch and the generator.

olc

Thanks. I'm catching up.
Related question.
The attached diagram (solid neutral connection) shows a bond between the generator neutral and the ATS housing (in addition to the neutral connection). ??
Is this correct?

Attachments

• solid neutral question.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 34

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I think the picture of the generator bonding is wrong. If the drawings not wrong of the actual generator connections, then the whole drawings wrong.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks. I'm catching up.
Related question.
The attached diagram (solid neutral connection) shows a bond between the generator neutral and the ATS housing (in addition to the neutral connection). ??
Is this correct?
The drawing is not correct. The grounding conductor between the generator and the transfer switch cannot connect to the neutral at the generator. It would only connect to the non-current carrying metal parts of the generator.

olc

The grounding (bonding?) conductor from the generator (metal parts) is a bonding conductor sized based on the size of the wires to the generator?
Not equipment grounding conductor sized based on the circuit breaker at the generator.
Correct?
Or should they be the size of the GEC?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I looked at an engineered blue print that was incorrect just a couple of months ago. The original prints shown the neutral bonded at the generator, and the engineer specs called for a three pole switch, and solid neutral! The customer had a lot of problems out of that engineer, they wanted a generator large enough to run the entire building, but he/she just ran emergency lights and computers. I think he/she was lazy and just cut and pasted! Surely they knew better!

Status
Not open for further replies.