Generator Grounding and Ground Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mike Holt and I need your help. We are having an email conversation with a major generator manufacturer whose installation instructions requires ground rods for any generator, including non SDS generators.
AHJs then must follow 110.3(B) and require ground rods when the NEC does not.

Inspectors - what issues does this cause with enforcement?

Electricians - does this cause confusion, or just irritate you to drive ground rods when not needed?

I will forward these comments to Mike and let you all know if we win on this.

tryinghard

As an electrician if non SDS it?s a waste of time and money but more definition could help like if it?s a separate structure or sole source.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Because of 110.3(B) it has not been an issue with enforcement.
I find electricians seldom question it they just follow the instructions.

A few years ago, I had a lengthy conversation with a Generac tech who gave a detailed explanation as to why they required the rod. He went over my head and I finally just accepted it.

Also, inspectors in this area tend to look at outside generators on pads as "structures" based on the Code definition of a "structure" and are enforing 225.32.
In that case would one not need the grounding electrode ?

Last edited:
The main thing for me is that it calls into question the manufacturer's instructions. If they require one thing that's patently unnecessary, what else are they requiring that's also unnecessary or even incorrect.

This doesn't just apply to generators, either :mad:.

ceb58

Mike Holt and I need your help. We are having an email conversation with a major generator manufacturer whose installation instructions requires ground rods for any generator, including non SDS generators.
AHJs then must follow 110.3(B) and require ground rods when the NEC does not.

Inspectors - what issues does this cause with enforcement?

Electricians - does this cause confusion, or just irritate you to drive ground rods when not needed?

I will forward these comments to Mike and let you all know if we win on this.

Tom, I agree this is another issue that has been a thorn in the side for some time.
If you read the wording in 250.20 D FPN#1 spells out the fact that it is not needed or required.
The main violations I have encountered are 225.32 & 36, 445.18 with some stating the inspectors are not enforcing the code.
The bad part of these smaller home generator set ups are they are marketed to DIY home owners as a weekend project as "you can do it" only to find they are in over their head. I think the manufactures are putting the ground rod requirement in their instructions for two reasons. 1 They have probably found some legal way to protect them selfs in the case of an electrical incident. 2 If they are installed by a DIYer who doesn't completely read,understand or follow their instructions and there is a warranty issue they can deny the claim since the MFG. instructions were not followed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I install the rod, and I charge for installing the rod. It's easy enough to show the customer if it's questioned.

The main thing for me is that it calls into question the manufacturer's instructions. If they require one thing that's patently unnecessary, what else are they requiring that's also unnecessary or even incorrect.
Like requiring a separate raceway for the control wiring that they put in the same raceway as the feeders? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.