Generator in separate building with receptacles powered from separate service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a generator that is doing emergency lighting loads, elevator etc. its installed in a neighboring building to which it provides service. the neighboring building has its own electrical services and power from that service is used for generator battery charger, block heater etc... The generator is grounded back to the building it is supplying emergency power to. Is there any issue of ground loops between the few receptacles on the generator? there is no intentional connection of these receptacle grounds to the generator ground. they are just mounted to the metal of generator enclosure which is grounded back to the other building. Is there an issue here? im using a 3 pole transfer switch with no ground to neutral connection in the generator.

Insites and thoughts appreciated.

i'm just worried if i mount receptacles on generator enclosure to power heater, charger etc and that these are powered of the building the generator is installed in and the generator its self has a ground wire on its engine and alternator frame that goes back to the other building that its providing emergency power for to its ground bus. is their any conflict with the metal contact of receptacle boxes and the devices plugged in looping back to the ground bus in the other building causing an issue? Should the receptacles be insulated some way. i didn't want to have to run 120V power from the other building upto where the generator was being installed. Make sense?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
i'm just worried if i mount receptacles on generator enclosure to power heater, charger etc and that these are powered of the building the generator is installed in and the generator its self has a ground wire on its engine and alternator frame that goes back to the other building that its providing emergency power for to its ground bus. is their any conflict with the metal contact of receptacle boxes and the devices plugged in looping back to the ground bus in the other building causing an issue? Should the receptacles be insulated some way. i didn't want to have to run 120V power from the other building upto where the generator was being installed. Make sense?
Hit enter once in a while, it makes the text easier to read.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
DB, it sounds like you're worried about paralleling EGC's. I don't believe there would be a problem, but I would think you could come up with a creative way for a single EGC to properly and legally perform all functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.