Generator Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
A client has a 10KW portable generator that he would like to use as backup power for a new house. The generator has a 240V, 40A NEMA 6-50 receptacle on it.

When I look at a 6-50 receptacle, it has two current carrying contacts, and a ground (per exhibit 406.2 in the handbook). Can I use the ground terminal as a neutral to get (2) 120V phases?

Thanks in advance;
Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Generator Install

Here is how I think this should work:

1. Provide NEMA 6-50 plug and 3 wire SJOW cord to connect to the generator.

2. Terminate the cord in a Jbox. Here I would bond the neutral wire to the neutral and ground wires going to the transfer switch.

3. The transfer switch would be a 3 pole model, and the ground wire would be solidly connected to the service ground.

Does this sound right? Do I need an additional ground rod at the Jbox where I bond the N and G?

Any help is welcome:

Steve

Ed MacLaren

Steve, the final connection depends on whether the generator neutral is bonded to it's frame, or not.

If it is not, Diagram 1 is recommended.

If the neutral-to-frame bond exists, it will need to be configured as an SDS, Diagram 2.

In either case, an equipment bonding conductor will be required. (If it is cord-connected, 14-50 or L14-50)

Ed

Gen4.gif

Gen5.gif

[ July 19, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Ed:

Thanks for the quick reply, but I can't do either of these exactly. The generator has a 3 prong receptacle, so I only have 3 connections: 2 lines and 1 connection that has to serve as the neutral and ground. I also can't clamp a ground wire onto the frame since it is portable.

Steve

Ed MacLaren

I only have 3 connections: 2 lines and 1 connection that has to serve as the neutral and ground
This generator was very likely intended for portable (cord-connected) loads only,

To safely wire it into a premise wiring system, by way of a transfer switch, the receptacle would have to be replaced with a 4-wire type.

Ed

[ July 19, 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Ed:

I did wonder about that, but how many cord and plug appliances would fit a NEMA 6-50 outlet? Especially in a residential application?

Steve

Ed MacLaren

how many cord and plug appliances would fit a NEMA 6-50 outlet?
That was the point I was trying to make in my last post.

If that was the only receptacle installed by the manufacturer, this generator was not intended to supply "residential" loads.

Ed

luke warmwater

I agree with Ed, but would like to ask:

Do you have an installation manual from the manufacturer?
Did you contact the manufacturer?
What brand is it so we can look it up?

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

What is the difference between a back up generator and a sub panel 4 wire all the way but is it UL listed to do this??A portable generator is just that portable and a back up generator for a home is built and listed for this.If not mistaken the big orange has a gen set for just this application.Not sure if it is 4 wired or not.Will have to stop by tommorow to see.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I don't have a manual, but I will get one. Here is what I found on the web:

John Deere Generator

It is made to be ran from a garden tractor. It also has a couple of NEMA 5-20 outlets, but I can't get 10KW out of those.

Steve

Ed MacLaren

It has been my experience that many of these "portable" generators were intended for use only with loads that are cord connected to the generator's manufacturer-supplied receptacles, for example, for RVs or at construction sites.

Here (Canada), the generators that are intended for connection to a residential premises wiring system come with a 4-wire twistlock receptacle and are required to have a label indicating whether or not the generator winding neutral is bonded to it's frame.

Ed

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Something else I noticed is they say it has a voltmeter for adjusting "engine speed". If you have to adjust the engine speed to get the right voltage, I don't think I would want to connect it to my house.

Steve

trip

Is Neutral isolated in both diagrams at transfer switches?

[ July 20, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: trip ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Our AHJ's require portable generators (120/240) to be rewired with a 4 conductor cord.

most portable gensets have a neutral to frame connection. CMP-5 recoginzes this is a violation and they don't feel its all that important.

warrenb

Be sure to check the output voltage on the outlet from the ground to the 2 hot wires. A typical hookup for a small generator is to connect the two hots to the outlet and connect the chassis ground to the 3rd terminal. Ground, not neutral! - therefore no neutral or center tap is connected to the alternator windings and the outlet and thus the system voltage is 240 only, not 120/240.
Warren Buchter
Generac Power Systems

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I have a schematic for the generator. There are two windings. Each feeds a 120V outlet, and then the two together feed the 240V NEMA 6-50 outlet.

The ground terminal on the NEMA 6-50 outlet is connected to one side of each winding, and bonded to the generator case. The manual says there is a ground strap for a earth ground.

Can I use the ground terminal on the outlet as a neutral to split the 240V into (2) 120V phases?

Steve

Ed MacLaren

Can I use the ground terminal on the outlet as a neutral to split the 240V into (2) 120V phases?
It appears from the description in your last post that the receptacle "ground" is, in effect, a winding center tap, and it is also bonded to the case.

If this is true, the short answer to your question is - yes.

But, for safe operation, there should be an equipment grounding conductor between the generator and 3-pole transfer switch, requiring a four-wire feeder, and the generator center-tap/neutral should be connected to an acceptable grounding electrode, as shown in my Diagram 2 above.

[ July 21, 2004, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

Status
Not open for further replies.