Generator Interlock for 400 amp residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One of my regrets about my own setup is that I went to 400 cause "I could" and the main reason I wish I didnt,, probably could have made it on 200 and would have made gen power a lot easier.
The fix to this is to put all of the generator loads in one panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There are two separate neutral topics being discussed here: bonding and paralleling.

1. Bonding; a generator's neutral should not be bonded when supplying a load whose neutral is bonded, but it should be bonded otherwise.

2. Paralleling; the two neutral conductors of a single inlet supplying two panels will inadvertently be interconnecting the two neutral buses.

Ryancbell121

Occupation
Master Electrician
There are two separate neutral topics being discussed here: bonding and paralleling.

1. Bonding; a generator's neutral should not be bonded when supplying a load whose neutral is bonded, but it should be bonded otherwise.

2. Paralleling; the two neutral conductors of a single inlet supplying two panels will inadvertently be interconnecting the two neutral buses.
And we want to avoid connecting the two neutral busses twice, correct? They are connected thru the meter enclosure already.

Last edited:

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
What if you only connected the neutral at one panel?

On second thought, that wouldn't be compliant

Ryancbell121

Occupation
Master Electrician
What if you only connected the neutral at one panel?

On second thought, that wouldn't be compliant
And have the current go back through the service entrance neutral conductor from the one 200 amp panel then into the second 200 amp panel then back on the generator feed neutral? I bet it would work but I’m sure its a violation.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
And have the current go back through the service entrance neutral conductor from the one 200 amp panel then into the second 200 amp panel then back on the generator feed neutral? I bet it would work but I’m sure its a violation.
Yeah no parallel path, but you would have a circuit with conductors in different cables/raceways/conduits

Birken Vogt

Another thing we have noticed is that these 320/400 amp services seldom calculate out to more than 200 amps of load on the Standard/Optional calc method, if it is a normal house.

So, abandon one 200A disco, run that existing 200A feed to a 125A breaker on the bus bar of the other 200A feed which is usually in the same can in California, and use a single transfer switch (or in your case interlock) to feed the whole mess, thus downgrading it to 200A but so what, it still works as intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.