Generator interlock size allowance (portable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Is there a size allowance on what size kw genset you can have when back feeding your house with a interlock kit? My dad read a thing anything over 5kw needs an actual transfer switch but I’m not so sure about that. Anyone shed some light? THANKS in advance

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No, if the system has manual transfer equipment there is no size limitation because the user will select the load(s).

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you have a manual transfer switch, the generator can be as small or large as you want (load shedding is done manually, by you flipping various branch circuits on and off). The NEC requires transfer equipment for any generator connection to a utility panel, whether 100W or 1 MW. It describes manual transfer equipment (like the interlock kit) and auto transfer equipment.

If there is some rule regarding size and interlock kits, that would have to be a local code.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Thanks!. Anybody ever use the Generlink? And what sizes you can get it in?((largest) I assume probably around 50amp(12kw)

Attachments

• C2E78316-4152-4E92-855A-74B12C9569A3.jpg
    C2E78316-4152-4E92-855A-74B12C9569A3.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 10

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Yeah I’ve never seen any around where I live will have to contact the POCO if ever decide to go that route.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Now my dad say years ago he talked to POCO about genset feeding the house. (20 years ago lol) but he said they told him a 3 pole disconnect would be needed to open both phases and the neutral.
I can’t make no sense of why the neutral would need be broken unless using a bonded genset. He said they mentioned fear of back feeding on the neutral but only way I can think of that happening is someone hooking stuffup backwards. Any ideas?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
No requirement to open neutral. If you transfer the neutral you must use a bonded neutral generator , as its an SDS system.
When you don't transfer the neutral, you use a floating neutral generator.
Please see the signage requirements for inlets in Art 702.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Thanks I didn’t see any reason why you would have to unless like you said using a bonded genset.

Status
Not open for further replies.