Generator load shedding

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I was going to say the same, you can use other brands of modules, they work on frequency section, so they just get installed inline with whatever load you want.

I really don’t think the customer should be determining the generator size. They often think they know best, but we are the professionals. 👍

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Kohler told me that using aftermarket components like PSP modules by Factory Pure would "affect the warranty" but they couldn't tell me how it would affect it. :rolleyes: I know a lot of other contractors use them but I'm not really into "affecting the warranty".

Birken Vogt

You are the dealer, you perform and submit the warranty if there is any warranty to be done.

Warranty does not ask whether PSP modules or anything else is installed, they ask what broke, how you figured it out, and what you did to fix it.

Besides that, we have had Kohler actually recommend some PSP products. You should have a direct account with PSP anyway.

You are the dealer, you perform and submit the warranty if there is any warranty to be done.

Warranty does not ask whether PSP modules or anything else is installed, they ask what broke, how you figured it out, and what you did to fix it.

Besides that, we have had Kohler actually recommend some PSP products. You should have a direct account with PSP anyway.
And it's none of their business what is downstream of the generator. Don't ask don't tell - and if they ask, I'm not telling! 😂

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Sorry, had to be away from the computer a while, I'll try to answer everyone's questions.

We are a Kohler dealer, Kohler doesn't do wireless load shed modules. We have to get wiring from the transfer switch to the panels for the load shedding. The only thing that we can shed without cutting up a ton of sheetrock is the pool equipment, which will be right next to the generator.

The customer keeps telling me that there will be only 2 people living in this huge house so he doesn't feel that he needs anything bigger than a 26kw. He's probably right, but the code doesn't care how many people are in the house. I guess I'm fine installing it without load shedding, I just don't want to fail the inspection due to it and then have a mess on my hands. This area is pretty strict. I'm going to call the inspector this morning and discuss this with him.
I would not be fine installing it without load shedding.
1. Generator has to be capable of running the load transferred to it. With or without load shedding. That's code. You know that.
2. Who you think they're going to blame when the generator falls on its face because of too much load?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I would not be fine installing it without load shedding.
1. Generator has to be capable of running the load transferred to it. With or without load shedding. That's code. You know that.
2. Who you think they're going to blame when the generator falls on its face because of too much load?
Same as the customers who want you to lower the cost to do anything and then you say ok what do you want to do less of. They complain and say that's not OK they want the same thing for less.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC

Birken Vogt

https://www.pspproducts.com/load-management/sak-60-wireless-load-management/

Found this one when I went looking, It looks good to me. Pretty cool how it works... Is this what everyone is using? Kohler is not being helpful in this unfortunately.

I have been using PSP for years. I just started using this product, and as is my practice, I tested it thoroughly. It works. They are a very assertive company with regards to sales and communication, so I expect that if I had any problems, they would jump on it.

Strangely, they were recently bought by Rectorseal, the pipe dope company. I don't know how that will affect their business.