Generator located inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

odyssey1

Hello,
I am working on an installation where the customer wants to put a generator in an existing building. The existing building was originally used to house a chlorine system for a water treatment plant. All of the chlorine equipment has been removed. The question that I have is can I put a generator in this building? NEC 445.10 discusses location, but it doesn't mention any restrictions on building type. The building is brick, the only concern that was raised is that the roof is wood truss. The generator will have all necessary duct work, ventilation louvers, and exhaust piping necessary. There will be plenty of room to house the generator and duct work. The generator is a 600 kW diesel. Thanks!

tkb

Generators installed indoors in very common. You need to make sure that you insulate your exhaust so there isn't too much heat near the structure. Also you need to make sure that you have enough ventilation for combustion air and heat removal.

You may need a special permit for this installation.

north star

+ & + & +

odessey1,

IMO, I would recommend that you schedule a visit to the local
Building Official' office and see what they will "require", and
which codes & standards are in-place.

This Generator installation project involves much more than the
electrical codes [ i.e. - noise levels, ...separation from combustibles,.
..storage & containment issues with the Generator diesel fuel,
...the actual termination location of the Generator exhaust duct,
etc., etc. ].

& + & + &

hbendillo

You need to get someone to actually design the exhaust and intake air system components for you. You don't want to leave it to chance. If you cannot properly move air and remove heat according to the generators requirements it could result in a generator that would have to be de-rated. And do insulate that exhaust pipe if you take it our the roof or through a wall. I know of a case where part of the roof structure caught on fire.

odyssey1

Thanks for the help.
I was also directed to NFPA 110: standard for emergency and standby power, section 7. the generator must be separated by the rest of the building by construction with a two hour fire rating.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
:thumbsup:

(you are one of those folks who thinks instructions should be read, I bet :))

I am!
Last dollhouse I had to take apart at 3:00 am Christmas morning because I didn't read them broke me of not reading them.

Status
Not open for further replies.