Generator powered concession stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

Wiring a small concession stand at a local sports field.

Only power for now will be a generator. There might be POCO power at some point in the future.

I'm planning on installing a small panel fed by the generator through a standard generator inlet and installing ground rods (no water present)

Anyone have any issue with this? (before I call the inspector and run it by him)

I'd wire it as if it was being feed by a feeder from another building (w/ separate neutral/ground leads) but use a panel that's suitable for use as service equipment so it's ready when/if a service is installed. Do not bond in the panel, do it at/in the generator.

For bonus points and minimal extra expense, I'd wire the generator inlet onto an interlocked breaker so that when the service happens you can keep the generator connection in place as a backup.

Reactions: T74

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Good advice from zbang. Most small portable generators have bonded neutrals, there are some with floating, check the specs before you buy
See 702.7 for the required signs

Reactions: T74

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Is the concession stand easily moveable?

It is common for 'food trucks' to be wired to plug in to a pedestal mounted receptacle.

I'd consider that approach; plug in to a generator or plug in to a pedestal, rather that panel with transfer switch.

Jon

Good point there, I was assuming a permanent structure. If it's readily movable and will always plug in, the transfer isn't needed. OTOH if it's on skids and could but isn't likely to move, and eventually may have a service/feeder into it, then I'd wire it up as described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.