Generator sizing per NEC 702.4.B

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

Designing a generator for a new small condominium building. The building has only 5 condominiums plus the house (common areas). I have a meter center with 6 meters, 5 feed the condominiums and one feeds the house (common area). The project does not require standby power per NEC articles 700 or 701. However, the Owner wants to have ALL the building on a generator - Yes every single thing on backup!.

I assume this makes it fall under NEC article 702?

Reading through that article 702..4.B it says to size the generator per NEC 220. I have already calculated my service for the entire building using NEC 220.84 and the demand load is around 200kVA.

Does this mean that if my service demand load was calculate per NEC 220.84 to be around 200kVA then I can use a 200kVA generator and be code compliant?

Or does the mere introduction of a generator make some loads such as a fire pump, egress lights, and elevators now be considered applicable per articles NEC 700 and 701 which mean I have to exclude them from the NEC 220 calcs and instead include them using their starting load when sizing the generator?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.