Generator switch size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvee1985

I have a building being fed with 4/0 Aluminum quad overhead from utility transformer to a 400 Amp indoor disconnect. They purchased a 30KW generator and had another contractor tell them they could run 200 amp manual double throw to feed there shop. I am not all that versed on generators so I thought you guys maybe could help me out. If I bid this job with the 400 Amp 3 phase double throw and 2-3/0 copper runs I am going to get beat against somebody running half the size.

raider1

Staff member
Is this generator used for optional stand-by?

If it is take a look at 702.5 for capacity and rating requirements. The 2008 NEC has more restrictions on capacity and ratings then the 2005 NEC.

Chris

what is the generator voltage? I would assume the sevice voltage is the same? A manual XFR switch cannot be used with a legally required emergency systems. per 700.6 so I would assume this is for stand-by only. Look at section 445 for requirements that apply to non-emergency generators. Make sure you size the generator feeders correctly if it does not have a unit mounted main breaker and provide a disconnecting means, 445.13 and 445.18.....

RUWired

If your going to use the transfer switch as service equipment to the 400 amp disconnect, then a 400 amp switch would be required. If your going to use it to pick up selected loads, then size it for the load being served.
Rick

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a building being fed with . . . a 400 Amp indoor disconnect.
They . . . had another contractor tell them they could run 200 amp manual double throw to feed there shop.
In my opinion, the TS must be protected from O/L.

Consider that the TS is likely to be switched under load, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.