Generator - switching neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Brush

I occasionally have folk ask me if neutral should be switched in the transfer switch when installing a generator. I see it has been discussed on this forum and a few others - it often generates (sorry for the pun :cool: ) quite a discussion when the answer is quite straightforward. I usually direct them to this site:
http://members.rennlist.org/warren/Gen_Panels_Appl_Note_EN.pdf
The explanation is clear, simple and easily understood. BTW there is one small error (of no consequence) in one of the diagrams. 10 points to those that spot it.

Generator wiring diagrams

Regards Ann

sceepe

Re: Generator - switching neutral

Ann,
Its really not that simple. Many of the questions that I have read posted here involve a design decision as to whether it is better to switch the neutral or not. Many generators can have the bonding strap removed. This gives you the option of choosing a 3 or 4 pole transfer switch. You can make a good arguement for either method. That has been done on this site quite often.

Ann Brush

Re: Generator - switching neutral

Sceepe
Agreed, you can decide to isolate or bond the neutral-ground connection in the generator and let that determine the transfer switch used. I assume most folk involed in back-up power design could draw the 8 diagrams from memory. The main reason I posted was that the diagrams lay out the options in a clear and concise manner. In anycase most of the folk who come to me already have a generator and "just want to hook it up". It's also great to have a set of diagrams to refer to in a forum discussion - as in: "Dear XYZ your suggested wiring is detailed in diagram 3 and as stated that's a code violation :( for reasons ABC".

Status
Not open for further replies.