generator tap box

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Why does it need ocp at the main board? These conductors are only backfeeding the Main board.

Because regardless of their intended use they are live at all the times and require overcurrent protection per article 240 or have to meet the tap rules of Article 240.

jrvazzer

Because regardless of their intended use they are live at all the times and require overcurrent protection per article 240 or have to meet the tap rules of Article 240.

I am talking about the back fed switch you described in the main switchboard, at least that is what I understood you to have. I also understand that it is interlocked so that it can not be turned on if the main is on and the main can not be turned on if the generator switch is on. If I have this wrong I may take back what I said.

Is not a Backfed switch is a bus tap at the main board. The interlock and the rest is correct.
Thanks

jrvazzer

I still stand with the idea that an OCPD is required because you are making a tap with conductors rated smaller than the main breaker that will be energized untill locked out. Haveing the kirk key interlock protects the personel upstream.
Rick

Ok, Thanks for your response and sticking to your guns.
Again Thanks

jrvazzer

In my opinion regardless of anyone having access to it or not because these are hot from the utility under normal conditions the supply end of the conductors need a OCPD or they have to meet the tap rules in 240.21.

Looks like I have to provide OCP at the tap or follow the NEC 240.21. The Manufacturer of the Generator Tap box. Shows in detail 4 different senario of connection to the main board and they show ATS, OCP, and Tap direct to Mains and straight to Tap Box (no) OCP. They are going to have to modify their drawings.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Looks like I have to provide OCP at the tap or follow the NEC 240.21. The Manufacturer of the Generator Tap box. Shows in detail 4 different senario of connection to the main board and they show ATS, OCP, and Tap direct to Mains and straight to Tap Box (no) OCP. They are going to have to modify their drawings.
Under certain conditions, it could be a viable, compliant installation. Your proposed installation does not meet those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.