Generator Transfer Switch and new service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I will be replacing the service at this property. I have not seen a transfer switch setup like this before. I am concerned this may be an old installation and there have been changes to code?

Can I just pull the meter/switch, install a new meter can, main panel and reinstall the meter/transfer switch?

Attachments

• photo22411.jpg
    photo22411.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 15

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That looks like a GenerLink meter mounted transfer switch. What puzzles me though is that black flex going where? And that gray box? GenerLink xfer switches have a cord that plugs in where that black flex in your photo goes into the meter. The other end goes to a portable genset.
These are usually provided by the POCO. If you remove it there will be a neutral wire that also has to be disconnected. Better check with the POCO to see if they own it or has their blessing. Would like to know what that gray box is and where that flex goes.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That's interesting. Never seen a meter mounted xfer switch except GenerLink that has everything contained within the meter mount. I'm familiar with PSP Products but never knew they made a switch like this. Not sure if it is current. Likely the POCO supplied this and maybe owns it as well.
Learn something new everyday!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
MAIN BONDING JUMPER

I will start this job soon. Where should I install the main bonding jumper?
The residential transfer switches I have seen have a bonding jumper and OCPD installed. If it is installed as the first thing after the meter, leave the jumper there and separate G and N in the MDP or wherever else they are bonded.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
In the first disconnect device after the meter, with rare exception.
Larry,
Did you look at the photograph above? This is a transfer switch that was just inserted between the meter and the socket. My concern, is this installation acceptable to continue with a new service and meter base?

Status
Not open for further replies.