Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Would you allow a #2 SO cord to feed an exterior generator? It's not portable and don't worry about loads. This is an optional standby system.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I see nothing inherently unsafe about doing so.

Did the AHJ accept the idea that the reason for doing so was to prevent transmission of vibration, which is a pretty good argument in the case of a generator.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Assuming hard wired here, no- but you already know this.

What's up?

Of course if it was my own house, uninspected, and just me running the show......:D

That's what I was assuming too, but I'm not sure that I'm hanging my hat on the correct code section.

Just a plan check, with some misinformation on it and so once the red pen comes out......

Well of course.:happyyes:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Could 400.8 (7) be applied here? I also wonder how the SO would hold up being exposed to direct sunlight.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Would you allow a #2 SO cord to feed an exterior generator? It's not portable and don't worry about loads. This is an optional standby system.

Thanks

If it is not a portable generator and it is hard wired, no. Flexible cord cannot be used as a substitute for fixed wiring of a structure.
If the generator were on wheels and it was cord and plug connected. I would have to assume it would only be connected during an outage. Yes.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I would prefer 400.8(1), I am not fond of sections that say "Where subject to physical damage", too subjective IMO.

Since the Genny is outside, I doubt the fixed wiring of a structure would fly as an arguement. I'd have used LFNMC or Sealtite if It was me rather than SO.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
  • If it is not a portable generator and it is hard wired, no. Flexible cord cannot be used as a substitute for fixed wiring of a structure.
If the generator were on wheels and it was cord and plug connected. I would have to assume it would only be connected during an outage. Yes.

I agree with you 100% on that.

Tom, that was the same reason I'm having problems justifying it in my head. But the sunlight thing is another good reason that it should be hard wired.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

• I agree with you 100% on that.

Tom, that was the same reason I'm having problems justifying it in my head. But the sunlight thing is another good reason that it should be hard wired.

• I agree too, I done a restaurant re-wire that had been originally owned and wired by another electrical contractor, he had used SO cord to feed the compressor panel outside (nice plywood roof on a nema 1 enclosure:roll:), the outer rubber was brittle and peeling from several years of sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.