Genrac 6Kw NG Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitis101

Hello all I am new here and just want to say hello and what a great site this is. There is such skilled and knowledgeable individuals here that I?m glad I?ve run into this site.

Here is my generator question(s), Ive read alot on this site using search and this is a big box store genrac now I will have to change over to a JB and seperate the signal wires from the supply wires like I've read. My question is that the main generator breaker size is 50A and the ATS is rated at 100A what size breaker do I protect the ATS with from the main service panel. If my generator can only handle a 50A continous load then why would the ATS be rated for 100A? Is this for start up of 3Tons? Also from the ATS to the generator I will have to run wire rated to the generators max Amps correct? Sorry if i sound retarted but id rather ask then not to ask at all. Thanks for some help.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The ATS has two power sources -- Utility and generator. No one says they have to be the same amp rating. The wires from the ATS to the panel must be rated equal or greater than the amps from the higher of the two sources (generally). Neither source may exceed the amp rating of the transfer switch.

I have a 100A subpanel fed from a 100A manual transfer switch. My generator is only 15KW and limited to a 50A breaker. I have the ability to load this subpanel up with 100A of load during normal operation. When on generator, I'll have to manually turn some items off to keep from exceeding the generator load (or just be careful with what I use, something that load calculations don't really consider very well). This saves the cost of having to buy a 24 KW generator. But I have a lot of possible things that can be powered by the generator that you wouldn't be able to do if I limited to panel to a 50A calculated load.

Status
Not open for further replies.