Georgia licensing info/background checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANewb

Hey guys, new to the site. I was hoping to get some info from some of the vets here.

I will start by saying I do have some electrical experience in residential running romex, installing sub panels, circuits etc. I am currently working on my first commercial project (under a contractor), learning to bend pipe, etc. I even wired up a couple panels and they worked first time... LOL

I would like to work towards getting my license and from what I can tell I need 4 years experience. OK. But I also see the board requires a background check. I am not even going to try to put lipstick on it, I have a pretty bad record.

So does the board(Atlanta, GA) just deny people with felonies? This is obviously a big concern for me as I do not want to put 4 years of time in, and not be able to get my license.

Now for the experience part. Apparently you need the experience while working for a licensed electrician/electrical contractor. The job I am working on now (I caught the tail end, just a couple weeks worth of work), seems kind of backwards. The electrical company hired a GC to do the work. I work for the GC. They are telling me they have a project coming up that will be a year long. How would I count that towards my experience?

I have another job opportunity making more money, but would require me working 3PM to 9PM knocking on doors, and I have done it before, was OK at it but I hated the hours. I missed my kids games, practices, etc I really was not happy doing it. I would rather make less and do something I like and work towards something. But if my history is going to be a brick wall, I might as well stop now because I cant afford to be a $10/hr helper forever.

Buck Parrish

You would have to tell the licensing board up front. Depending on the seriousness of your felonies. You may be able to get a waiver.
I know they frown on any kind of larceny, b&e and lewd act charges.
You should send them an email and ask them.

Lots of commercial electricians with NO license, and having worked for large electrical contractors. Many have had long successfull carreers and very respected by thier co-workers.

westernexplorer

The State of Georgia Construction Industry Licensing Board can't approve an applicant with a felony, to my knowledge. It's against Georgia Statue to my understanding....

Buck Parrish

It reads "They shall have the authority" That sounds like the board can issue a license if it decides not to use it's authortiy.

law (a) A professional licensing board shall have the authority to refuse to grant a license to an applicant therefor or to revoke the license of a person licensed by that board or to discipline a person licensed by that board, upon a finding by a majority of the entire board that the licensee or applicant has: (1) Failed to demonstrate the qualifications

westernexplorer

Well, then I stand corrected... Not sure they would wave there right to deny the application of a felon... Unless you had extenuating circumstances...

STCEC&M

I've seen the Board reinstate felons after all their parole/probation was finished. I cannot comment on the possibility of being accepted for application for licensure. Try to apply with this board and when the new governor gets elected you have another chance.:grin::grin: The board "should" change with a new governor.

GANewb

They nailed it, it is in GA License Laws, this is a pdf and your can search felony and it starts on page 9.

I appreciate the link

It reads "They shall have the authority" That sounds like the board can issue a license if it decides not to use it's authortiy.

law (a) A professional licensing board shall have the authority to refuse to grant a license to an applicant therefor or to revoke the license of a person licensed by that board or to discipline a person licensed by that board, upon a finding by a majority of the entire board that the licensee or applicant has: (1) Failed to demonstrate the qualifications

I appreciate the clarification.

Well that really stinks. I guess I will email them and see what they say. I think that is absurd though. We go to court, get our punishment, serve it, and still get penalized afterwards. I have to be honest, I have looked into all sorts of trades, truck driving, welding, HVAC, electrical, etc and everywhere I go, the doors are slammed in my face. No wonder why there are so many repeat offenders.

For the experience part, how does that work if I work for the GC? Do I need to talk to the electrical contractor and tell them I need them as a reference down the road?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
We go to court, get our punishment, serve it, and still get penalized afterwards.
On the flip side, it's good to have some leverage against a rapist/chimo/etc having unfettered unsupervised access to a person's home.

Some of the residential service companies are advertising that they do background checks on their employees as one more feather in their caps for that reason.

I recall talking to a guy who was made to jump through all kinds of hoops and probably would not have had his license. I commented to my partner that it was too bad that such a nice guy was being held down. He replied, "He had 'STAY DOWN' tattooed on his knuckles, I don't think he is as big a victim as you think." :D

Volta

For the experience part, how does that work if I work for the GC? Do I need to talk to the electrical contractor and tell them I need them as a reference down the road?

GANewb, welcome to the forum!

As I am not in your state, I will be guessing here, but I wouldn't think that the time under a GC would count. Honestly, I have trouble imagining that electrical work is even allowed to be performed by a company without the electrical licensing needed. Diging trenches, sure, but installing electrical equipment?

It can be a downer to find that the state won't allow you to hold a license, if that ends up being the final decision. But most of the people in this trade don't have licenses and can still pull down some good money that way. I have a feeling that you can find someone to work with that will give you the commercial experience you need to make a good career of this. Might not be as easy to land the position you want, but being up-front like you have been will weed out the employers you don't want too.

If you like this work, and feel that you are/will be good at it, I would stick with it whether or not you can ever hold the license there.

cadpoint

I'm with Volta in thought; you need to read up on your State laws pertaining to your situation. Working under a licensed electrician in GA is usually the best way to get qualified.
Most southern states have all about the same things going on with hours required, and generally have the same rules and laws, to take the test. Out west and up north above VA, it gets into different requirements and mostly involves formal training with worker and employer participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.