Geothermal nameplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

This so called "Note 2" is curious for sure. Can't say I've come across this with a heat pump before. I wonder if because it is supplying other loads through the unit it does not qualify for the normal rquirements in Art. 440.

Nope , they think the NEC requires it. The quote below is from an email I received when I asked for an explanation.. The little pumps are protected in the unit by a 7 amp breaker. Note (2) is not on the nameplate which definitely qualifies as listing and labeling instructions..not sure if this manuel or chart was part of the process or not. Also the cut sheet chart I was given differs from the chart found on page 163 of the manuel...The part in red really made my hair hurt.. what's left of it ... the part Wes doe not seem to understand is that the overcurrent protection is in the unit and I'm providing short circuit and ground fault protection,...I'm quite sure the 40 and 30 amp breaker would handle a short and a ground fault very similarly though I have not done the research , nor should I have to . I have sent Wes many examples from several different sources ,.of how combination loads are figured according to 440.. He hasn't responded to them as of yet..and I doubt he will.. So if you see a Climatemaster out there remember to size the ampcity of the conductors to the maximum overcurrent device found on the name plate. (to which I still say my conductors do have a 40 amp rating )

.....The maximum fuse/breaker size for the TTS038 is 40 amps. A 40 amp breaker is the largest that will adequately protect the unit. However, the electrician cannot use 10 gauge wire with a 40 amp breaker as the wire can only support 30 amps and this would create the potential of an unsafe operating condition. If a 40 amp breaker is used at least 8 gauge wiring is required (8 gauge typically = 40 amp capability).

As explained above and in note 4 of the document you sent in this email the wire size is based on 60C wire and the Minimum Circuit Ampacity. If you chose to use this size wire you must also make sure the fuse size is appropriate for the wire size per NEC and local codes. Our literature states the Max fuse size, smaller fuses can be used. Conversely if you decide to use the max fuse size in our literature you must make sure the wire is sized properly per NEC and local codes.
Wes Wostal
Engineering Director Residential Products and Advanced Development

kwired

Electron manager
Better yet, don't let the inspector see the instruction manual;)

I am probably lucky to see it myself if I wanted to in most cases, as the HVAC guy is the one that opens it up and takes all the parts packed inside out of it.

M. D.

Note (2) stricken

Note (2) stricken

Davey 1- Goliath 0

They are removing Note (2) after several emails and a couple phone calls .. they have seen the light !

Status
Not open for further replies.