getting licensed while out of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redenek

I have been working in the electrical field since Jan.1997. Started with a union contractor (who never signed me into the union...those 3 years are basically shot) getting experience in the commercial and residential field then, left to work in the industrial field building power plants. I am currently overseas working for a U.S. contractor and would like to prepare for and take the test to get my license...(California certification). I can get my hours verified..all if not most. How do I go about getting tested all the way out here?

brian john

Re: getting licensed while out of the U.S.

who never signed me into the union...those 3 years are basically shot)

While the Time verification for these hours may be shot (Union should be able to give verification, the Union does audits and you have to show somewhere or pay stubs). But the education is still in your head (I hope), so all is not lost.

redenek

Thanks alot gentlemen. I really appreciate the reply to my question. I will be heading back to the states for other training and found a school that gives a two day seminar and testing for a contractors license immediately there after. They guarentee you pass the exam or pay all fees and re-testing. Has anybody heard of taking this route? Also, what is the best study material to have in preparing for this exam. ie: Mike Holt? If so which packages would be the best to purchase. I have about six months before my TDY to the states.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I hope you saved all W-2 forms for the years you worked as an electrician. The forms will indicate the hours, a letter from the employer can validate the type of work performed.

You will have to appear in person to take the examination.

All important documents can be skanned and stored on your hard drive.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

the best study material is Mike Holts Masters Exam prep. 2400 questions, take 200 a week, allow 10 hours. He knows what questions the test agencies ask.
Keep in mind journeyman requirements vary greatly by state. In washington state you can be an electrical contractor by passing a test, but you don't have to be an electrician. However, any one doing electrical work has to be a certified electrican, employeed by an electrical contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.