Getting outdoor panel branch wiring inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does the damp/wet prohibition of NM extend to the jacket-stripped conductors inside the exterior located panel?

Let me answer another way: the inspector said I could use NM as long as I got it into the panel from behind with individual connectors. He said I would have to caulk between the top and sides of the panel and the wall.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For outside raceways above grade see 300.9. No such similar language exists for the interior of outside enclosures that I know of.
That says the inside of aboveground outside raceways are considered wet locations. That supports what I suspect: the inside of exterior panels is considered a wet location with respect to wiring methods.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
That says the inside of aboveground outside raceways are considered wet locations. That supports what I suspect: the inside of exterior panels is considered a wet location with respect to wiring methods.

There is no language in the NEC to support your supposition that the interior of outdoor enclosures are wet locations, as there is with outside raceways.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
By invoking "support" for your conclusion you are taking as given that the NEC is logical and more important condidtent. That is, IMHO, a risky argument. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
By invoking "support" for your conclusion you are taking as given that the NEC is logical and more important condidtent. That is, IMHO, a risky argument. :)

I wholeheartedly agree about your statement about the NEC lacking logic and consistency in many cases. In this case I can see their dilemma. How could they justify that the wiring method in an outside enclosure have a wet location rating, and nothing else (breakers, fuses, contactors, etc.) inside of the same enclosure not have the same rating?

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I said I suspect. That does not equate with having made a conclusion, nor taking the NEC as logical or consistent.

However, I will concede I believe the NEC is driven by tradesmen logic. :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I wholeheartedly agree about your statement about the NEC lacking logic and consistency in many cases. In this case I can see their dilemma. How could they justify that the wiring method in an outside enclosure have a wet location rating, and nothing else (breakers, fuses, contactors, etc.) inside of the same enclosure not have the same rating?
Are we attempting to apply logic? :D

FWIW, the NEC, AFAIK, does not require devices installed within enclosures to be damp or wet location rated. Only the enclosure itself must be suitable for a damp or wet location.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, for one thing it is hard to consistently arrange raceway to drain condensation to avoid puddling of water against the wire at some point. But in an enclosure the wires are generally in free space and the enclosure will drain any condensation that may happen locally or come in through raceways.

growler

Well, for one thing it is hard to consistently arrange raceway to drain condensation to avoid puddling of water against the wire at some point. But in an enclosure the wires are generally in free space and the enclosure will drain any condensation that may happen locally or come in through raceways.

Sounds good to me, I'll take one of those and an extended warranty.

I think your logic is good. It's really hard to make a rule that will cover every circumstance.
If they did allow NM to be run in conduit located in wet location then the question would come up of how far. If you could run it 6 ft people would want to go 60 ft.

It's even hard to clarify wet or dry locations so a little common sense is needed. That decision they leave up to the AHJ with guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.