getting permits for jobs in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I am really starting to understand why many, yes many contractors that I have worked for in the past have a OWN (only when necessary) attitude when it comes to filling out permits for smaller jobs. It seems to me that many of the smaller city governments (Newark, Jersey City, Paterson) in New Jersey seem to have a very lackdaisical attitude when it comes to completing your paper work in a timely manner.

Its now going on three weeks since I applied for an electrical permit for a little job in Newark. And in the process they "lost" my paper work the first time and the second time they couldn't find the copy of my license that I faxed to them and gave in person once.Its quite comical. Its like going to the DMV sometimes. The people working there couldn't give two ships about you. And there's usually 20 people doing the work that should take half that amount. Why should it take sooooo long ?

Why is it that we can do our taxes on line but not file for permits on line. It is such a big waste of time and resources(gas) driving to the city halls and doing it in person. Is there some simpler way that I don't know about? And im talking about little jobs under 1000 bucks. Which is what I seem to be doing alot of.

tonyou812

please explain, I really feel like writing a letter to the Electrical board in Newark about this. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way and I want to start something to address this matter using the rise in fuel cost as a starting point for a better system than the antiquated one we presently use.

tonyou812

I really feel like sending the City a bill for wasting my time. They have no reason to do a better job and probably find it funny to have me run around chasing my tail because of their lack of service.

satcom

tonyou812 said:
please explain, I really feel like writing a letter to the Electrical board in Newark about this. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way and I want to start something to address this matter using the rise in fuel cost as a starting point for a better system than the antiquated one we presently use.

Tony, the people in jersey want the goverment to do everything, heck govermrnt employees are one of the states largest employer, were right up there with Cuba, so just hand in there.

Marc, noted a good system, but don't hold your breath waiting for jersey to make any changes that will lay off some loyal goverment employees, just to make it more efficent.

One of the great things about this board is learning how things are done in different areas of the country. From what I have gleaned here NJ seems like one of the most inhospitable places to try to operate a business. I'm not sure where this comes from but at some level people must realize that the harder the permit process is the more it will be an incentive to not pull permits. Here in Denver metro area there a bunch of municipalities that all have there own particular rules but all operate from a common model. When I apply for a permit I go to the appropriate AHJ, fill out the paper work and walk out with the permit. (Most places require you to register which just consists of copies of drivers license, state master's license, and state contractors license. Some also require an insurance certificate.) The concept of waiting 3 weeks is just bizzare to me.

In the rural areas of the state the state electrical board performs the inspections and there system is slick. I apply for and pay for the permit online and call in the inspection. On the last one I did there was a correction notice issued and the inspector emailed it to me that day. Thanks to modern technology I was able to check that email from my phone while on a job and hit the ground running with the fix (which was just a matter of clarifying with the inspector that yes this panel was listed for use as service equipment).

There is a county I work in that is apparently beta testing an online permitting system and has asked me to help test. This just came up and I submitted my info yesterday for registration but still have not received an access code to the site. If you are interested I will post my experience with this once I go through the motions and give you the contact info for the county to see if they can be modeled.

tonyou812 said:
lackadaisical
Wow, did you get word of the day toilet paper? :D :roll:

I've noticed in some areas in Ohio, the staff is cooperative, nice, and competent. In other areas, it seems like they hire people who couldn't hack it at the DMV. It really seems like some cities don't view permits as necessary, or something that should be easy to accomplish, they just look at it as a money maker. Then, when it doesn't generate enough revenue, they throw more bodies on staff, since more bodies should be more productive, should be more profit. But that doesn't always work.

Good luck getting it changed.

satcom

ishium 80439 said:
One of the great things about this board is learning how things are done in different areas of the country. From what I have gleaned here NJ seems like one of the most inhospitable places to try to operate a business. I'm not sure where this comes from but at some level people must realize that the harder the permit process is the more it will be an incentive to not pull permits. Here in Denver metro area there a bunch of municipalities that all have there own particular rules but all operate from a common model. When I apply for a permit I go to the appropriate AHJ, fill out the paper work and walk out with the permit. (Most places require you to register which just consists of copies of drivers license, state master's license, and state contractors license. Some also require an insurance certificate.) The concept of waiting 3 weeks is just bizzare to me.

In the rural areas of the state the state electrical board performs the inspections and there system is slick. I apply for and pay for the permit online and call in the inspection. On the last one I did there was a correction notice issued and the inspector emailed it to me that day. Thanks to modern technology I was able to check that email from my phone while on a job and hit the ground running with the fix (which was just a matter of clarifying with the inspector that yes this panel was listed for use as service equipment).

There is a county I work in that is apparently beta testing an online permitting system and has asked me to help test. This just came up and I submitted my info yesterday for registration but still have not received an access code to the site. If you are interested I will post my experience with this once I go through the motions and give you the contact info for the county to see if they can be modeled.

All great ways of making the system work, but jersey is more concerned with CREATING jobs, a created job is a sure vote. I see little hope for things changing, they just about run business out of state, either by milking them for penatlies, and fines or tax them out. Tony should contact his local law maker and voice his concerns directly, and he will see how little they care about his concerns.

tonyou812

If I voiced my concerns alone sure they wont listen but if we could somehow band together maybe we could make them listen. But most people (other contractors) don't care, they just put up with it and bitch about it amongst themselves, or better yet they only file for permits when its necessary. And maybe that's the only way to deal with it.

amazing.

amazing.

tonyou812 said:
And in the process they "lost" my paper work the first time and the second time they couldn't find the copy of my license that I faxed to them and gave in person once.

I'm suprised they would accept a faxed license. Seems pretty lax to me. Anyone can fax a license. I would not accept without a seal.

They're not that strict if they accept faxed licenses. You should be at least gratefull for that.

CopperTone

In Boston, MA you fill out the permit application online then you have to go to the main office and they make a copy of your license then you pay, and then they give you the permit. Pretty easy - except for having to drive to the other end of the city to get to the office.

I do agree that doing it all online without having to ever go to an office to file would be a smarter and more effective way of doing things. I wouldn't expect something like that to be in place for at least 5 years from now - 10 years for small towns. Government processes are very very slow to change.

JES2727

mike johnson said:
I'm suprised they would accept a faxed license. Seems pretty lax to me. Anyone can fax a license. I would not accept without a seal.

They're not that strict if they accept faxed licenses. You should be at least gratefull for that.

All electrical permits in NJ require a contractors seal (homeowners are exempt). The city of Newark also requires a copy of the actual license. I don't know why.

I recently applied for a permit in Newark for a generator install. Less than a week a later I got a postcard informing me that the permit was ready for pick-up. It was pretty painless. I didn't experience any of the hassles that the OP mentioned. The only shocker was the permit fee - it was about a thousand dollars!!!

Jerseydaze

BTW isnt it a $10,000 fine if you get cought in new jersey with out a permit? Oh I am on week 3 of waiting for a permit in mahawa to replace 2 damaged rooftop Ac units on an office building.I already got cought putting up 2 HPS fixtures with no papers I know I know .What would you do these people need air its not getting any cooler.

tonyou812 said:
I am really starting to understand why many, yes many contractors that I have worked for in the past have a OWN (only when necessary) attitude when it comes to filling out permits for smaller jobs. It seems to me that many of the smaller city governments (Newark, Jersey City, Paterson) in New Jersey seem to have a very lackdaisical attitude when it comes to completing your paper work in a timely manner.

Its now going on three weeks since I applied for an electrical permit for a little job in Newark. And in the process they "lost" my paper work the first time and the second time they couldn't find the copy of my license that I faxed to them and gave in person once.Its quite comical. Its like going to the DMV sometimes. The people working there couldn't give two ships about you. And there's usually 20 people doing the work that should take half that amount. Why should it take sooooo long ?

Why is it that we can do our taxes on line but not file for permits on line. It is such a big waste of time and resources(gas) driving to the city halls and doing it in person. Is there some simpler way that I don't know about? And im talking about little jobs under 1000 bucks. Which is what I seem to be doing alot of.

satcom

Jerseydaze said:
BTW isnt it a $10,000 fine if you get cought in new jersey with out a permit? Oh I am on week 3 of waiting for a permit in mahawa to replace 2 damaged rooftop Ac units on an office building.I already got cought putting up 2 HPS fixtures with no papers I know I know .What would you do these people need air its not getting any cooler.

There is a big difference in making a repair, and doing an installation, you are replacing the roof top units, it is an existing installation.

File the permit application, and sent it req mail to the AHJ.

Last edited:

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
CopperTone said:
In Boston, MA you fill out the permit application online then you have to go to the main office and they make a copy of your license then you pay, and then they give you the permit. Pretty easy - except for having to drive to the other end of the city to get to the office.

In San Francisco you can obtain your permits online, pay the fee, and print your copy of the permit before you leave your house in the morning. Takes about 15 minutes.

tonyou812

ike5547 said:
In San Francisco you can obtain your permits online, pay the fee, and print your copy of the permit before you leave your house in the morning. Takes about 15 minutes.
For a Ham and egger like me that would be an ideal situation, and I would save a lot of time(money) with a system like that. But being that its New Jersey it wouldnt make sense to make it easy for the small buisness guy.

r_merc

Well I have an issue with one the counties I work in. The general contractor pays for all the permits bldg,plmb, mech,Insulation,roofing and electrical and writes down everyones license numbers. They issue the permit. I have a problem with this system. Yes its covenient for me since I dont have to lay out the cash but my license number could be doing work that I dont know about. At least in the second county they make the General pay for everything but all the subs have to file affadavits in person.

tyha

i really do hate it for you guys. here in wake county, usually like the other guy the gc gets the permit for our new buildings. but for our service work or just electrical we can do it online in about ten minutes. we have a username and our license number and business license are attached to it. we get a certified copy in the mail within a week. it also gives you a breakdown of all permits pulled with your license once a year when your business license is due. the business license is only $50 to $80 a year it depends on which cities you work in.

emahler

tonyou812 said:
If I voiced my concerns alone sure they wont listen but if we could somehow band together maybe we could make them listen. But most people (other contractors) don't care, they just put up with it and bitch about it amongst themselves, or better yet they only file for permits when its necessary. And maybe that's the only way to deal with it.

Its called the new jersey electrical contractors association. When was the last meeting you went to?

Status
Not open for further replies.