getting permits for jobs in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

emahler said:
Its called the new jersey electrical contractors association. When was the last meeting you went to?

It's just sad that some of the members don't think the they need to follow the laws, and it appears they pushed the CEU's not to advance the industry, but to make it more difficult for the non members to compete.

rlane00

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
I think it's Washington state that has a pretty cool model with their "minor tag" system.

Not sure about Washington state, but Oregon has an online permitting system that some (but not all) local jurisdictions belong to. They also have a "minor label' program which allows the use of a "minor label" rather than a full permit for minor work such as adding a new circuit that is 30 amps or less. The minor labels cost about $15 each (compared to about $100 for a permit), and the contractor has to enter the job information (address, work performed, etc.) into a website. Approximately 10% of the minor label projects are actually inspected. It's a pretty good system.

revolt

New Jersey is a "home rule" state. Each town is their own little fiefdom. There are towns were you can only apply after 5PM when the part time inspector comes in after he gets off of his regular job. Lot's of towns have inspectors that only inspect Tuesday and Thursday between 1 and 4 as an example. Some towns have inspectors that inspect at night. The counties have no power here. Each town hires its own police, inspectors, street dept. etc. Some towns are starting to pool their resources in buying insurance, materials, hiring inspectors etc.

tonyou812

emahler said:
Don't misunderstand me. They are currently a useless porganization. But change has to start somewhere.
Weellll thats sort of why I kinda steered clear of these sort of associations.My wife says that I was probably some sort of revolutionary in another life, Im always trying to change the system, and always gripe that there has to be a better way of doing this or that. I was giving a more serious thought to like a lions club or something on that line maybe the Masons.

sparky59

i guess i've got it good in my town. I don't have to tell them my name...they already know it. All my info is on the computer. i hand the lady the homeowner information and she prints my permit while i'm writing the check. sometimes it does take longer if the inspector is in his office and wants to talk about fishing.

satcom

tonyou812 said:
Weellll thats sort of why I kinda steered clear of these sort of associations.My wife says that I was probably some sort of revolutionary in another life, Im always trying to change the system, and always gripe that there has to be a better way of doing this or that. I was giving a more serious thought to like a lions club or something on that line maybe the Masons.

Three of the members from my area have gained some of their bigger jobs from networking with other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.