Getting power out of a handhole

Status
Not open for further replies.

john37

I have a project where I'm trying to determine where to get power for a new small guard structure that is being built at the entry of the property. The service will be at 480V, 1ph because the length of the run is about 600 feet. I need about 30 amps to for the small guard structure to supply power for lights, receptacles, and a/c. I'll provide a step down transformer inside the small guard structure.
There is an existing handhole that feeds power to a pump station 480/277V 3ph panel that is located across the road where the new guard structure will be located. Per code, is it allowable to tap the existing feeder inside the handhole to extend a new feeder to the guard structure if the existing feeder has spare capacity? It's a 200 amp feeder and the existing pump station is currently drawing 30 amps at 480V.
We are trying to avoid trenching across the road where the pump station 480/277V panel is located. Thank you.

fmtjfw

I have a project where I'm trying to determine where to get power for a new small guard structure that is being built at the entry of the property. The service will be at 480V, 1ph because the length of the run is about 600 feet. I need about 30 amps to for the small guard structure to supply power for lights, receptacles, and a/c. I'll provide a step down transformer inside the small guard structure.
There is an existing handhole that feeds power to a pump station 480/277V 3ph panel that is located across the road where the new guard structure will be located. Per code, is it allowable to tap the existing feeder inside the handhole to extend a new feeder to the guard structure if the existing feeder has spare capacity? It's a 200 amp feeder and the existing pump station is currently drawing 30 amps at 480V.
We are trying to avoid trenching across the road where the pump station 480/277V panel is located. Thank you.

240.21(B)(5) will probably allow you to place the OCPD at the guard structure rather than the handhold.
If you can get away with a 120VAC only secondary you might be able to get away with one OCPD for the tap, and the transformer.
If the secondary is 120/240 you will need a secondary OCPD(s) as well.
I would size the feeder according to the permissible voltage drop based on all the loads being on (except the a/c) plus the starting current of the a/c.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would recommend using a Sq D Mini Power Zone, its a 480 disconnect, step down xfmr, and lighting panel all in one. Connect up your GEC and you are done

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Any problems with using a properly insulated and waterproofed tap in a handhole or would a more formal junction box be required?
I assume the wires would have to come out of a conduit stub from the side of the hole rather than out through the cover?

iwire

Staff member
Any problems with using a properly insulated and waterproofed tap in a handhole or would a more formal junction box be required?
I assume the wires would have to come out of a conduit stub from the side of the hole rather than out through the cover?

No problem with splices, though must be listed for wet locations.

I agree you cannot run through the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.