getting quotes

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
I worked in industrial as a technician for most of my career and never really had to get quotes but now I work for a state college and need to get quotes for projects and I just want to know the proper way of going about that without upsetting the sales person who I have to reject there quote. I already had a issue with one of our vendors after I asked him to quote a lighting project at the beginning of November and I needed to get started on it when kids were on xmas break at the end of December. I contacted him a few times through November and he stopped responding so I went to another warehouse a few weeks before xmas break and they came out and looked at the project and got me a quote within a few days and I got them. Sometime in mid decemeber I saw the original sales person when I was picking up parts and he told me he would work on the quote soon. Instead of him wasting his time I told him I already had ordered the lights from someone else and then he just walked away.

Fast forward to beginning of February I asked bot places to quote another lighting project and the guy that I turned down for the last project told me he wasn't going to bother because the other warehouse had already "sold me a better mouse trap" what ever that means. I ended up explaining to him what happened and I understood that the holidays can be busy. I got him to quote the project and his quote actually looks better then the others warehouse but now I am afraid if I go with his I am going to have issues with the other warehouse.

I thought sales people were used to rejection but I guess I was wrong or I just did it completely wrong lol.

Krusscher

Occupation
Electrician
It's called manipulation, and it appears to be working.
honestly I do feel like I don't want to go with his quote just because of how he acted but I don't think my feelings about it should really effect my decision if he has the better quote. The other guy didn't really discount the fixtures from there normal cost where as he gave me about a 10% discount on his.