GFCI 210.8 AFCI changes in 2023 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
The November issue of EC&M has an article on changes in the 2023 NEC. There are a number of changes regarding GFCI protection. The changes are mostly expansion of areas that require GFCI. The article states that GFCI requirements have been in the code for over 30 years.

Every code cycle has many changes in this area. The wording is changed, additional areas required. Kitchen countertops are required and then changed to within six feet of water and then changed back. For over thirty years this has been headed toward GFCI protection in almost all areas.

Meanwhile, the article does not mention any changes in AFCI. Both AFCI and GFCI provide protection for property and personnel. It seems AFCI has quickly moved to cover most areas in residential while GFCI is continually revised and crawls toward universal protection.

Any insight into why GFCI protection is always churning and creeping and AFCI has been quickly adopted?

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I am surprised to learn GFCI was added that early. I wonder if the price for one was the same in 1972 as today?

retirede

I am surprised to learn GFCI was added that early. I wonder if the price for one was the same in 1972 as today?

The first GFCI receptacle I bought would have been around 1980. IIRC, it was about $35. So they are a lot less expensive today, especially when accounting for inflation.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
If I were still in the residential rat race, I would just fill my panelboards with dual function AFCI/GFCI breakers. Most all 120v circuits are required to be AFCI protected. Several circuits require GFCI protection and several require both. The manufacturers that are on the CMP's won't rest until everything is AFCI/GFCI both. It means billions of dollars to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.