GFCI, AFCI for Furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

Is a furnace excluded from GFCI or AFCI requirements? Does it matter if it is in a utility closet or in the garage?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Is a furnace excluded from GFCI or AFCI requirements? Does it matter if it is in a utility closet or in the garage?

What NEC is in effect in the jurisdiction that the furnace is in? 2017, 2014, . . . ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If the area the unit is placed is in an area that requires afci or gfci or both then you must have it protected with either or both. There is no exception that I am aware of.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Most furnaces don't plug in so they would not need gfci however the afci requirement does not depend on plug in units.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the area the unit is placed is in an area that requires afci or gfci or both then you must have it protected with either or both. There is no exception that I am aware of.

(devils advocate).. Furnace has a factory unit disconnect built-in ad is direct wired with no switch or plug and is in an AFCI required area. Must that circuit be AFCI ?? ::D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
(devils advocate).. Furnace has a factory unit disconnect built-in ad is direct wired with no switch or plug and is in an AFCI required area. Must that circuit be AFCI ?? ::D

I would have to say yes as the connection to a furnace is an outlet, IMO.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-
ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in
dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living
rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or
areas shall be protected by any of the means described in
210.12(A)(1) through (6):

kwired

Electron manager

If on a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit then yes.

Generally speaking I'd think a furnace isn't typically going to be allowed in many those rooms per building codes, would at least need to build a closet around it with probably at least a 15 minute finish, but I could be wrong.

That be for a unit heating the whole house, a unit that only heats the space it is in probably is allowed, but AFCI still required if 15/20 amp 120 volt circuit.

GFCI requirements would not apply at all unless you have a cord and plug connected unit, then it depends on which year of NEC applies, especially the past couple cycles which could require GFCI in some instances on 240 volt receptacles or even three phase with under 150 volts to ground.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
(devils advocate).. Furnace has a factory unit disconnect built-in and is direct wired with no switch or plug and is in an AFCI required area. Must that circuit be AFCI ??
:D
There will be a termination point at which the furnace Branch Circuit conductors end in the connection to the furnace factory unit disconnect. The termination point is the end of the Premises Wiring (System) and the beginning of the wiring of the furnace (Utilization Equipment.) Whether the termination point is set of terminal screws, stab-in connections, or furnace machine tool wire pigtails, or something else similar, the termination point is an Outlet, the point on the wiring system at which current is taken for utilization equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
But in theory it would meet the intent of the code.

It just omits needing to protect the "home run" with AFCI. Nothing says you can omit AFCI protection for the circuit if there are loads or devices in the rooms mentioned in 210.12(A).

Only exception there is for individual branch circuit supplying a fire alarm system, all other 15-20 amp 120 volt branch circuits must comply regardless of what is supplied. Maybe not what some of us want to hear, but it is what it says.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
It just omits needing to protect the "home run" with AFCI. Nothing says you can omit AFCI protection for the circuit if there are loads or devices in the rooms mentioned in 210.12(A).

Only exception there is for individual branch circuit supplying a fire alarm system, all other 15-20 amp 120 volt branch circuits must comply regardless of what is supplied. Maybe not what some of us want to hear, but it is what it says.

Nothing in the code- but GRC protects the conductors from being damaged by an over driven staple.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing in the code- but GRC protects the conductors from being damaged by an over driven staple.

I don't disagree, still must AFCI protect everything at/beyond the first "outlet" of the circuit according to what is written, or put that appliance and any other switching devices in the lines into a room not mentioned in 210.12(A). If in the living room build a closet around it and then it won't need AFCI.

I never said it made sense.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I don't disagree, still must AFCI protect everything at/beyond the first "outlet" of the circuit according to what is written, or put that appliance and any other switching devices in the lines into a room not mentioned in 210.12(A). If in the living room build a closet around it and then it won't need AFCI.

I never said it made sense.

A furnace would be an outlet, correct?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A furnace would be an outlet, correct?

No, it merely receives its power from one. The outlet for a hard-wired furnace would be either the J-box where the wiring emerges from the wall (if there is one) or the end of the wiring that enter's the furnace's wiring compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.