GFCI Breaker Malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was baffled by something I’ve never seen before. I ran a bunch of circuits through conduit and several of them are attached to Siemens plug on neutral GFCIs. After the install I pressed all the test buttons and they tripped. Then I went around with my meter and tripped them by going from hot to ground.

When it came to two of these GFCI protected circuits I got no reading from hot to ground. The breaker did not trip.

I do have voltage from hot to neutral and I also have voltage from another hot (one not on the GFCI breakers) to ground. So the ground is definitely good. Has anyone ever seen this? I’m wondering if the breaker is bad, but like I said it trips when you press the test button. Help! Thank you.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Are you using a low impedance meter for tripping the GFCIs?

... When it came to two of these GFCI protected circuits I got no reading from hot to ground. The breaker did not trip.

I do have voltage from hot to neutral and I also have voltage from another hot (one not on the GFCI breakers) to ground. So the ground is definitely good.
Is it possible that the hot and neutral wires are reversed? Measure the voltage from neutral to ground to verify that it's very low as it should be.
Did you try measuring the hot to ground voltage right at the output terminals of these two GFCI breakers?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is easy enough to test the breaker at the source.. that should be your starting point as stated by synchro

I like the theory that the hot and neutral wires are swapped at the source. I will check that when I go back. That seems the best possible likelihood. You guys haven’t seen breakers malfunction in this way with everything wired correctly have you?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I have heard of a lot more (more than usual) AFCI and GFCI breaker failures in new products since the covid supply shortage. Not sure if it's less QC on the assembly line or substandard parts beings used as a result of shortages. Either way hopefully it doesn't result in injuries.

But did you check from neutral to ground?

-Hal
Haha no, this occurred at the last minute of the last day of the week. When what I expected to occur didn’t happen I packed it up until Monday and came on here to ask. I suspect if I went neutral to ground I would’ve gotten voltage for half a second and then nothing. I honestly believe I was cross eyed and put the white on the hot terminal of the breaker. But if I go back and find it is wired correctly, this will be truly perplexing.

Yup, those PON breakers you got to watch carefully those side by side connections, over/under not so bad.
Where I get confused is if I have a whole bunch of them on one side where the hot is on top then on the other side Hot would be on the bottom but I get in the zone and just put a heart on top on both sides. That’s what caused this. I appreciate everyone’s replies though because I was ready to call Siemens! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.