GFCI breaker required for outdoor NEMA 14-50 receptacle for EV charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I seem to work more with non-dwellings so I had to go back to my 2017 and look. All I have at home. That and CRS. It appears that a dwelling would not require the GFCI protection, but anywhere else would. Even if outside at the dwelling. 2017 NEC.
Completely logical, right?

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All the EVSE's I've seen have built in GFCI to protect the car end of the thing.

As far as the code goes, the rules are only 15/20A 120V receptacles in the garage require GFCI. Of course if the load manufacturer says you need one or you feeding a load like pool motors that require them elsewhere in the code, you will have to.

kwired

Electron manager
All the EVSE's I've seen have built in GFCI to protect the car end of the thing.

As far as the code goes, the rules are only 15/20A 120V receptacles in the garage require GFCI. Of course if the load manufacturer says you need one or you feeding a load like pool motors that require them elsewhere in the code, you will have to.
For a dwelling you are correct. Non dwellings a 50 amp 250 volt receptacle (or 125/250) is included in the general requirements of 210.8(B) in the 2017 NEC.

Same receptacle same load as well as similar conditions but some reason it isn't as big of a hazard at a dwelling I guess:(

Status
Not open for further replies.