GFCI Circuit Breaker for Mobile trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozeke

I have a Mobile Trailer that is used as a small office and I want to install a dedicated line for a 240V electric wall heater unit, my run is 20ft from the home to the Trailer and I would be using 10 GA THHN wire along with Rigid PVC from the house to the Trailer, The box on the house will be waterproof as well as the box planted on the outside of the trailer, I will be putting the Rigid PVC 2' FT underground, I was going to use a 30amp breaker I will be running 3 wire, but wouldn't I need a GFCI Breaker for this Since going outside from the house to the Trailer or since Im going underground with this setup instead of using Uf wire that I would not have to use the GFCI Breaker.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
No, a GFCI is not needed for this, and GFCI requirements aren't driven by wiring method or wire location but by what is connected to the circuit and where those things are (e.g. outside receptacles require GFCI, but not outside lights). A heater should not need a GFCI in any location. But you may have some other issues...

You may only run one circuit to a detached structure (the trailer). This can be a single circuit, a multiwire branch circuit, or a feeder. Are there any 120V receptacles, lights, etc in this trailer besides the heater? If so, you could possibly do this with a 20A multiwire branch circuit (hot-hot-neutral-ground), but the heater would have to draw less than 10 amps (fastened in place equipment is limited to 50% of a circuit that also has lights or receptacles for non-fastened-in-place equipment).

If a 10A heater is too small and you have lights/receptacles, then you will have to run a feeder to the trailer and put a panel in it. You cannot put 15/20A receptacles or most light fixtures on a 30A circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.