Gfci Circuit Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.

murli8

I am feeding a remote power cabinet 120V which came from a box that has the neutral grounded and bonded in that box. The remote box receives HOT and nUETRAL . I place a GFCI in this box (5mA). As soon as I feed the loads, the breaker trips. Only after I have isolated all the loads, the trips stops. i have not grounded the neutral in this remote box. How can I stop the breaker from tripping ?
murli

murli8 said:
I am feeding a remote power cabinet 120V which came from a box that has the neutral grounded and bonded in that box. The remote box receives HOT and nUETRAL . I place a GFCI in this box (5mA). As soon as I feed the loads, the breaker trips. Only after I have isolated all the loads, the trips stops. i have not grounded the neutral in this remote box. How can I stop the breaker from tripping ?
murli
1. By remote power cabinet do you mean a sub-panel, a disconnect box, or???
2. No box should have the neutral grounded and bonded except the Main Disconnect.
3. Is the GFCI a breaker or receptacle?
4. What kind of loads?

Assuming a GFCI breaker, determine if the load is tripping the breaker or the GFCI.
I'd check for a short first (quick and easy ohm measurement)...
Then look for a ground fault like neutral bonded or grounded at the load.
Of course be sure it isn't a shared neutral in a MWB circuit or connected to any other circuits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.