GFCI for all circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The CMPs are very proactive on GFCIs even for applications, such as drinking fountains where there was documented issues. I had a proposal accepted for GFCIs 2 cycles ago, for Wind Turbines, there was a requirement for a maint recp in the base of the tower. I pointed out a cord could be use to use power outside. It was accepted.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The CMPs are very proactive on GFCIs even for applications, such as drinking fountains where there was documented issues. I had a proposal accepted for GFCIs 2 cycles ago, for Wind Turbines, there was a requirement for a maint recp in the base of the tower. I pointed out a cord could be use to use power outside. It was accepted.

For better or force was I can see them being required on all circuits. It sad how monkey jobs and the rejection of Hubell's patent is leading to these incidents.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had energized door handles on a gas station cashiers booth, I wired the booth and car lot, another contractor wired the pumps and controls, and canopy. They used a pvc nipple out to a wireway, they didn't pull a ground and bond it to the panel. They left a stripped #12 off a 20 amp breaker laying against the can. It energized the entire station, pumps and all. A preacher that worked at the car lot next door said "It put the faith in God in him" when he grabbed the door handle!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I had energized door handles on a gas station cashiers booth, I wired the booth and car lot, another contractor wired the pumps and controls, and canopy. They used a pvc nipple out to a wireway, they didn't pull a ground and bond it to the panel. They left a stripped #12 off a 20 amp breaker laying against the can. It energized the entire station, pumps and all. A preacher that worked at the car lot next door said "It put the faith in God in him" when he grabbed the door handle!

A lot of this sadly comes from improper work. Which leads me to ask- if people violate code- what guarantees the GFCI will catch it- let along folks will add a GFCIs to begin with.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I am impressed that other person recognized the situation so quickly and kicked him off. (y) Based on society today, I would bet that's rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.