Gfci for pool heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshell

I'm installing a gas boiler as a pool and spa heater. The boiler pumps are separated from the pool water by a heat exchanger so I don't know if a GFCI breaker is required. The mechanical inspector wants an e-stop outside the boiler room door, which would put it within about 5' of the spa (hot tub). Will that need GFCI protection? It's a 120v, 15a circuit. I would just install the GFCI, but the customer (a retirement home) and the mechanical contractor are worried about nuisance tripping.

thanks for the help

kwired

Electron manager
680.43(C) prohibits switches within 5 feet of inside walls of the spa. Keep in mind though that 680.43 is titled Indoor installations.

680.42 for outdoor installations has no similar requirement in it's content.

That said if the switch is allowed to remain within 5 feet - also consider that it will also need to be bonded to the equipotential bonding system for the spa if it is a metallic assembly.

I'd try to find a way to get it so it is more then 5 feet from the spa somehow for those reasons, and then GFCI issues sort of disappear as well once you get it further away.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't believe the NEC requires gfci protection for a pool heater.
I don't either. The EPO switch within 5 feet of the spa is not very clear, I'd say doesn't need GFCI, but also can't be within 5 feet of the spa anyway.

I guess after a conversation in another thread in a similar instance - the indoor spa is clear it can't have the switch within 5 feet as I mentioned before, if the spa is outdoors - 680.42 does send us to part II for anything not specifically covered in the rest of 680.42 - there we have 680.22(A)(2) that could apply to the EPO switch, but it will require GFCI protection and must be 6 feet from inside walls of the tub. Bottom line the switch can not be that close to the tub or must be at least 10 feet away if no GFCI protection.

Take that back, 680.22(A)(2) is for receptacles, 680.22(C) applies:

(C) Switching Devices.
Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.

No mentioning of GFCI protection though.

Marshell

Thanks for the input. The mechanical inspector was adamant that the EPO be right next to the boiler room door, but maybe I can convince him to let me move it if I put a bigger placard. I may have to put more than one, so you get to an EPO before you reach the door no matter which way you come from. Even >5' from the spa and bonded, it doesn't feel right - I was hoping to find some justification to force the GFCI. Thanks again - this is my first pool/spa job and article 680 is pretty intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.